Duration of student pilot certificate

dee_jee

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
dee_jee
Hello all,

if a 3rd class medical and a student pilot certificate is issued to a person at age 39 the medical will expire 60 months after the date of the examination (at age 44).
But according to §61.19 the student pilot certificate expires 24 months after the date of the examination for student pilots who have reached their 40th birthday. It does not explicitly say 'have reached their 40th birthday on the date of the examination'.

Does that mean, the person has to get a new student pilot certificate 24 months after the medical examination (cause he/she is 41 years old at this point of time)? :confused:
If that is the case, can he/she get it from a designated pilot examiner or does he/she has to get a whole new medical (including the student pilot certificate) from an AME?

Thanks!

Before I answer. Do you happen to be sitting for the written at this moment? ;)

I think the intent is to make it match the medical certificate duration. There was a small gap when they screwed that up (it always expired 24 months even before they let you young whippersnappers have five yeras on the medical).

That was supposed to mean: I'm sitting here learning for the written at the moment.

I'm not taking the test at the moment :nono:

I'm sure this complicated scenario is not an actual question in the written test.

Last edited:
See 14 CFR 61.37(a)(3) and 14 CFR 61.37(b) and (c)

Have a nice year.
I don't think the regulation on "Knowledge tests: Cheating or other unauthorized conduct" will help. I think Flight Standards' intent on this was clear when they rewrote 61.19, but according to the Chief Counsel, the actual wording of the regulation takes precedence over the stated intent. So, I'm sending this on to the right person in the FAA to deal with the issue, but until then, if you're over 40, you're going to need a new Student Pilot Certificate once the 24th month after the issuance passes even though the medical is still valid. Good news is you can generally get a new Student Pilot certificate free from any DPE.

Last edited:
I don't think the regulation on "Knowledge tests: Cheating or other unauthorized conduct" will help. I think Flight Standards' intent on this was clear when they rewrote 61.19, but according to the Chief Counsel, the actual wording of the regulation takes precedence over the stated intent. So, I'm sending this on to the right person in the FAA to deal with the issue, but until then, if you're over 40, you're going to need a new Student Pilot Certificate once the 24th month after the issuance passes even though the medical is still valid. Good news is you can generally get a new Student Pilot certificate free from any DPE.

The FSDO will also issue one on request.

That is indeed an option, as long as you live close to one and can work within their appointment requirement and office hours.

I can confirm this.

When I did my first FAA medical exam, my AME chose to defer my special issuance items to OKC and not issue me in office. Fortunately, Dr. Bruce Chien had provided me with excellent guidance on preparing my documentation and 5-weeks after the exam, I got my SI letter and "standard" white paper medical certificate in the mail (this was back in summer of 2010 when the reported backlog was growing beyond 10-12 weeks).

The white paper certificate didn't provide for the CFI endorsements I would need for solo flight.

Fortunately, at that time, there was a FSDO 20 minutes away next to Alliance-Fort Worth (KAFW). Set the appointment, and two days later, met with the inspector, who had the "brown cardstock" student certificate typed up and sent me on my way with the advice of "if someone asks you to go get them 20-feet of flight line, don't fall for it".

Very easy to work with them, and a positive first experience with the inspector cadre.

That was supposed to mean: I'm sitting here learning for the written at the moment.

I'm not taking the test at the moment :nono:

I'm sure this complicated scenario is not an actual question in the written test.

Never assume this about the test questions. As far as i can tell some questions are intentionally poorly written just to have a high fail rate on the question to make the test "harder" so that they can point to those questions if the test is ever accused of being a "shall pass" exam.

Yep, we had one long time volunteer at Airventure who didn't have a pilot's license and took some ribbing for it. Someone went up to the FAA delegation one year and got him a student pilot certificate.

Yep, we had one long time volunteer at Airventure who didn't have a pilot's license and took some ribbing for it. Someone went up to the FAA delegation one year and got him a student pilot certificate.
I don't think you can get a Student Pilot Certificate for someone else -- that volunteer would have to have gone along to the FAA delegation with photo ID to get that done.

Back