Dumbphone, Android phone, prepaid service, which ones?

bigred177

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
bigred
My mom is currently on a contract plan with T-Mo. She has decided she's tired of paying them and wants to switch services. She's currently on a plan that is $55/mo for "unlimited" everything. The problem with that is she has a basic flip phone and does not text. I have been doing a little research but it seems most companies are more inclined to offer unlimited text and data with something like 300 minutes for $30 or unlimited everything for $50. I want a plan that has minutes and text for cheaper.

Her current phone can be unlocked to use on any GSM network so that is one consideration.

There is also the possibility of buying an unlocked GSM smartphone and using it with a GSM provider.

Her maximum minutes used in the last year was 1,500. The average is around 800.

There is an unlimited talk and text with Boost mobile for $35 and with on time payments can go down to as low as $20, but that requires a new phone.

T-Mo has a prepaid option for $35 that has like 1500 minutes or texts.

I don't know much about the straight talk and simple talk providers, maybe they're better?

She wouldn't be opposed to a smartphone and I think it might be easier for her to navigate and operate since they're a little more intuitive, but I don't know if you can use one without having some kind of data plan; that would defeat the purpose.

She has 17 months remaining on her contract and a $285 cancellation fee. Even if she only breaks even this go-round I think she'd be money ahead.

So If you made it through my ramblings, I would like to hear any testimonials or opinions or options you might have.

Last edited:
Go boost, SWIMBO had one before her desire for a smart phone made a family plan the best choice. It was fantastic.

I love the additional education in acronyms I get from POA.

I am curious though, is it possible to use an Android phone without a data plan? Can you make it update only while on wifi?

I use AT&T's prepaid plan. It goes for .10/min and does not include text or data. For the 1500 minute year, you mother would have paid $150 total (not per month). Something like this may make sense for her.

BTW... They do have text plans for something like $5/month that will give you X (100??) texts. Otherwise text messages are .20 for each incoming and outgoing text.

Not sure about their pre-paid data plans. I use Verizon for that. $60/month for 3GB or $90/month for 10GB.

BTW... The reason I use the prepaid stuff is that I'm mostly out of the country and don't see any reason why I should pay for a plan I can't use for 2/3 - 3/4 of the year.

I use AT&T's prepaid plan. It goes for .10/min and does not include text or data. For the 1500 minute year, you mother would have paid $150 total (not per month). Something like this may make sense for her.

That was poor wording on my part. I meant highest amount minutes used in one month was 1500 and the average per month is 800. This was looking back through the last year.

That is a great deal for someone who doesn't use a cell phone very much though.

That was poor wording on my part. I meant highest amount minutes used in one month was 1500 and the average per month is 800. This was looking back through the last year.

That is a great deal for someone who doesn't use a cell phone very much though.

Ahhhh... Ok.

My PIREP still stands for what it is. This set up works for me with my lifestyle. YMMMV. (Your Mother's Mileage May Vary) ;)

AT&T pre-paid also has $2/day unlimited talk and text. If her usage goes in spurts that might be a money saver, but if she is on the phone every day it won't.

I am curious though, is it possible to use an Android phone without a data plan? Can you make it update only while on wifi?

I can't speak for android, but that's exactly how we use iPhones in our house. At&t prepaid service at 10 cents/min and wifi for all data.

Look at Straight Talk Wireless. I have heard a lot of good things about them. They have a $50 unlimited or $30 for 1000 minutes, 1000 texts, and 30 MB data. The $30 plans looks like it may work for Mom. If she needs more minutes for the month she just re-ups the $30 early.

I am perfectly happy with my Straight Talk $30 phone. I do text, read email, and check news sources on it. I've never run out of talk, text, or data time despite being on the a so-called limited plan.

Generally I check my email four or five times a day, text perhaps as many as 10 times a day, and read USA today, Drudge, and a few other sites each day. I don't call much, but on those few occasions when I called several times a day and had long conversations, I didn't come close to using all the time. (There's a way to check how much time you use, and the $30 a month gives plenty.)

Holy crap! 800 minutes a month! I hope she doesn't have a landline. That kind of calling she really needs an unlimited plan.
Personally, I have stayed with verizon. I have a 700 minute plan with unlimited data and 5 cent text. I get emails from several accounts and don't generate any text of my own.I use Android on the smartphone and the tablet which is wifi only. And I have a family share and have NEVER busted the 700 minutes.
It amazes me how much people talk on the phone and where. And many have little or no discretion when it comes to what they talk about. Like they have the "CONE OF SILENCE" covering their conversation. Then there are the people who don't need a phone at all. You can hear them from down the city block!

Funny how different age groups need different plans, any one with kids knows that unlimited text messaging is worth whatever it cost on your kid's phone!! 5-10,000 text messages per month aren't uncommon for a teenager!!:hairraise: My mom wouldn't know a text message if it bit her! :D
My teenage boys don't use many minutes per month, maybe 100 for one and the other might be 4-500, but the texting is out of control!!! :rolleyes:

Holy crap! 800 minutes a month! I hope she doesn't have a landline. That kind of calling she really needs an unlimited plan.
Personally, I have stayed with verizon. I have a 700 minute plan with unlimited data and 5 cent text. I get emails from several accounts and don't generate any text of my own.I use Android on the smartphone and the tablet which is wifi only. And I have a family share and have NEVER busted the 700 minutes.
It amazes me how much people talk on the phone and where. And many have little or no discretion when it comes to what they talk about. Like they have the "CONE OF SILENCE" covering their conversation. Then there are the people who don't need a phone at all. You can hear them from down the city block!

Well, too be fair, she does run her own interior design business with that phone. So it's not like she's sitting around just talking about the daily gossip :).

Does anyone know how to set an android to only update on wifi? I'm feeling lazy.

Look at Straight Talk Wireless. I have heard a lot of good things about them. They have a $50 unlimited or $30 for 1000 minutes, 1000 texts, and 30 MB data. The $30 plans looks like it may work for Mom. If she needs more minutes for the month she just re-ups the $30 early.

I am perfectly happy with my Straight Talk $30 phone. I do text, read email, and check news sources on it. I've never run out of talk, text, or data time despite being on the a so-called limited plan.

Generally I check my email four or five times a day, text perhaps as many as 10 times a day, and read USA today, Drudge, and a few other sites each day. I don't call much, but on those few occasions when I called several times a day and had long conversations, I didn't come close to using all the time. (There's a way to check how much time you use, and the $30 a month gives plenty.)

What kind of phones do y'all have? These guys are GSM right? So I could maybe find an unlocked GSM Android phone and use it on here?

Back