Dumb question

cleared4theoption

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jeremy
So, I am getting my A&P through a local school...I have also seen the acronym AI...what exactly does that stand for? I am sure it has to do with avionics...and not a whole lot to do with Artifical Intelligence.
And a piggy back...once you have your A&P...what is involved with getting the AI added on?

You sure it wasn't "IA", which stands for "Inspection Authorization"? That's the "advanced degree" which allows A&P's to perform and sign off annual inspections, and to approve major repairs and major alterations performed IAW approved data (STC's, repair manuals, field approvals from the FSDO, etc). If so, what's involved is, IIRC, at least two years as an A&P, and some additional training (both initial for IA issuance, and recurrent to keep the IA which must be renewed every two years -- just like a CFI).

For more details on IA's, see Part 65 of the FAR's, sections 65.91-95. Won't be in your regular pilot FAR/AIM, but you can look it up on line.

FWIW you have seen it "AI"

It's on the forum like that a lot, but they mean IA ;)

You sure it wasn't "IA", which stands for "Inspection Authorization"? That's the "advanced degree" which allows A&P's to perform and sign off annual inspections, and to approve major repairs and major alterations performed IAW approved data (STC's, repair manuals, field approvals from the FSDO, etc). If so, what's involved is, IIRC, at least two years as an A&P, and some additional training (both initial for IA issuance, and recurrent to keep the IA which must be renewed every two years -- just like a CFI).

3 years as an A&P, active for the last two, age of 21 (duh, must be 18 for A&P) and pass a written test. Also unlike your A&P it DOES expire. The renewal period is 2 years but the recurrent training/experience requirements are yearly, so you can have a in date IA that is invalid.

Back