Dumb question about gliders vs planes... maybe

Sailplanes are a kick, but some of the handling characteristics of super-long wings (e.g. adverse yaw, overbanking tendencies) might get tiresome in your daily driver. There's a reason barn swallows don't have albatross wings.
Well, now...

Barn swallows do go soaring when the ridge lift is working:

Ridge soaring 1.jpg Ridge soaring 2.jpg Flight School.jpg

Simply: Aspect ratio tells you more about performance than wing loading and wing loading tells you more about ride quality than aspect ratio.

Nauga,
and the low-level dental plan

Some of the cabin difference is made up by the smaller DA40 baggage volume.

Um... The DA40's baggage compartment is FREAKING HUGE. And it's got that big back door to help loading big things into it as well.

Yes, some older DA40s didn't have all the space, back in the "ski tube" days, but since about 2003 the "4-way baggage compartment" has offered a ton of space. I've actually thought that if I had to, I could land to wait out weather and fold the seats down and sleep back there. My wife would probably fit without having to fold the seats down.

U-2. Why has nobody mentioned the Dragon Lady yet?

Good point. Comparing a U2 and the stubby-winged F104 that was its predecessor, is perfect for the question in the OP.

The F104 mission was to climb as fast as possible, to intercept Russian bombers. So really small wings, to reduce drag.

The U2 mission was to climb as high as possible and stay there for hours. So they swapped in some really big wings, to provide lift in thin air.

Good point. Comparing a U2 and the stubby-winged F104 that was its predecessor, is perfect for the question in the OP.

The F104 mission was to climb as fast as possible, to intercept Russian bombers. So really small wings, to reduce drag.

The U2 mission was to climb as high as possible and stay there for hours. So they swapped in some really big wings, to provide lift in thin air.

Stemme S 12, poor mans U2, 82 foot wing span and 30,000 foot ceiling

Stemme S 12, poor mans U2, 82 foot wing span and 30,000 foot ceiling
WOW! Now that's a cool plane!

According to Flying it will fit into a T hangar and cruise at greater than 140 knots true burning only 3.4 gph

That's remarkably impressive. I want one. Oh and 53:1 glide ratio

Good luck with that.

Ordered mine a year ago at Sun and Fun,(serial #10) have been promised delivery next month but not holding my breath. If you want an S12 be prepared to wait 1-2 years unless you buy used and then you will only be able to get an S10 as I suspect no used S12s on the market yet.

There was (is?) a Stemme at one of my local airports. Haven't seen it for a while, but the wingspan on that thing was seriously impressive.

Back