Dumb Overtaking rule

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
Dumb Overtaking rule Question

Ok - this is really dumb. I only ask out of curiosity.

Are airshow displays held to 91.113(f)

(f) Overtaking. Each aircraft that is being overtaken has the right-of-way and each pilot of an overtaking aircraft shall alter course to the right to pass well clear.

Was wondering if its part of an airshow, must someone pass to the right of the other airplane in an instance where one aircraft passes another in the show.

Last edited:
Re: Dumb Overtaking rule Question

NickDBrennan said:
Ok - this is really dumb. I only ask out of curiosity.

Are airshow displays held to 91.113(f)

(f) Overtaking. Each aircraft that is being overtaken has the right-of-way and each pilot of an overtaking aircraft shall alter course to the right to pass well clear.

Was wondering if its part of an airshow, must someone pass to the right of the other airplane in an instance where one aircraft passes another in the show.

No, The rule is intended to keep everyone involved on the same page so each pilot can anticipate the other's moves. In an airshow that's all pre-arranged. Also I can't recall when I saw one plane pass another going the same direction in an airshow. Usually they are going opposite directions when they pass, or they are flying together in formation.

Re: Dumb Overtaking rule Question

lancefisher said:
The rule is intended to keep everyone involved on the same page so each pilot can anticipate the other's moves.
Correct -- say, when you're in a Bonanza and find you're coming up behind a C-150 at the same altitude going the same direction.

In an airshow that's all pre-arranged.
Correct again.

Also I can't recall when I saw one plane pass another going the same direction in an airshow.
I can - the Blues and T-birds both do demos of the high/low-speed capabilities of their aircraft, and IIRC, the fast bird goes beneath the slow bird.

Back