Dumb Excel Question

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
Sigh. This has been a bigger PITA than I thought it'd be....

Lets say I have a table, in Column A is a name, columns B-G have that name's rank per week in an event. I have a pivot table, where I want to count the number of top 5s and top 10s across B-G by name A.

Is this even possible?

I'm not a pivot table guy but using the countif function will work

Sigh. This has been a bigger PITA than I thought it'd be....

Lets say I have a table, in Column A is a name, columns B-G have that name's rank per week in an event. I have a pivot table, where I want to count the number of top 5s and top 10s across B-G by name A.

Is this even possible?

Yes. I'd have to play with it for a while to come up with how to explain it to you. But I've done something similar and know it's possible.

Lots of useful help can be found in the MS Office internal help, and via Google.

And it's possible someone has already published a template for you to dissect.

Yes. I'd have to play with it for a while to come up with how to explain it to you. But I've done something similar and know it's possible.

Lots of useful help can be found in the MS Office internal help, and via Google.

And it's possible someone has already published a template for you to dissect.

I tried both, but for some reason, I am having a hart time articulating my request into a google search that results in what I'm trying to find. I guarantee that there is someone out there that has solved this one.

the function is slow but that hardly matters these days...

If I understand what you are trying to do...You can insert a pivot table from your worksheet. Put the data you want into the rows and columns field. In the calc field put the rankings you are seeking. Right click the calc field and make sure it is set to Count and not Sum. Then in the filter field, select only 5 and/or 10. That should be pretty close to what you are looking for if I understand you correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I understand what you are trying to do...You can insert a pivot table from your worksheet. Put the data you want into the rows and columns field. In the calc field put the rankings you are seeking. Right click the calc field and make sure it is set to Count and not Sum. Then in the filter field, select only 5 and/or 10. That should be pretty close to what you are looking for if I understand you correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nah - its more like this:

Code:
Driver          Finish1   Finish2   Finish3
John Smith      3            12        15
Jack Smith      9             2        10
Debbie Smith    1             3         5

Or so. What I want the pivot table to show is:

Code:
Driver          Wins     Top 5s     Top 10s
John Smith      0            1        1
Jack Smith      0            1        2
Debbie Smith    1            3        3

Gotcha. That's a bit different than what I understood. It's still not that complicated, but I'm running through the airport and don't think I could type it up at the moment. What I think I would do is use a combination of IF and COUNT.

Use the sort function in the pivot table, highlight what you want counted and at the bottom right of the screen it will have a count and a sum (easiest way)

make your original data into 5 columns- name, win, top 5, top 10, top 25 etc..make sure each cell is filled in with a (1) or a ("-") so no blank cells.
pivot it out- make sure that you change the data field setting to "count".

it's kind of a silly way around the problem, but it will work-
the pivot will count up each item in the column.
only logic you will need to do is determine if a "win" is also a "top 5" etc..
hope this helps,

Rick

Whatever happened to using a calculator? :D

David

They are being phased out in favor of the Smart Abacus...

hand-held-digital-abacus.jpg

Back