Dulles KIAD Advice

Anthony

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Anthony
I have a new client in McLean, VA, so the most convenient aiport is Dulles. I've heard fees aren't bad and reading comments on Airnav, and AOPA are very positive about the FBO's.

Anybody been in there recently? Any tips? I know it is in the SFRA, and I have taken the course, and keep the cert in my flight bag.

I've been to Landmark within the past couple weeks and Signature within the past six months. Of the two I would probably choose Landmark. I have seen small airplanes there in the past. Dulles can be very busy but on the other hand there are slow periods too. The last time I went we landed on 19R and taxied all the way to Landmark without hearing another airplane on ground.

I've been to Landmark within the past couple weeks and Signature within the past six months. Of the two I would probably choose Landmark. I have seen small airplanes there in the past. Dulles can be very busy but on the other hand there are slow periods too. The last time I went we landed on 19R and taxied all the way to Landmark without hearing another airplane on ground.

Thanks Mari. Do you happen to know when the slower times are? I know probably M - F AM, and PM push are probably bad times to go.

The traffic is all based on the United bank system. M-F the entire airport worth of planes arrives between 0700-0800, departs 0800-0840, arrives 1100-1200, departs 1200-1300, arrives 1530-1630, departs 1700-1830, arrives 2030-2100, and the last banks leaves around 2200-2300. Of course these times are rough, there will be smatterings of traffic outside of the normal bank hours, but this is roughly when the place gets jammed.

Leaving during a bank isn't so bad, they can push tin off the field pretty well. Arriving can be a bit more sporty as their airspace is somewhat hamstrung, and they get a LOT of dissimilar types whose speeds they have to coordinate.

If you can arrive between the banks, it's going to look more like a class D airport with LOTS of empty parking spots. It is an absolute ghost town.

I'll second Landmark. I've been there six times in the last two weeks. I've also been to Signature a couple of times - I like Landmark more. Both places get a fair share of piston singles, so they shouldn't have a problem handling you.

The controllers there are great, I've always had a very positive experience with the ATC around that area.

What Teller said about timing. Take a look at the graphs on FlightAware.

Alternatives are Leesburg (not bad commute from McLean except during rush hour).

Specifically you need to avoid the that early evening Push. Not only does Dulles push out then but a lot of the international carriers launch their transatlantic stuff.

If tell them you want to park at Signature or Landmark savvy controllers will try to put you on the correct runway. Landing on 1L/19R can mean a long taxi to Signature (as well as two frequency changes on ground control).

I actually was based at Landmark for several years (gosh that was convenient as I live and work near Dulles), but the prices went through the roof (was paying $125 for a monthly permission to park on their ramp...not even a reserved space) and it went up to $350 not too long after. Since National became difficult to impossible for bizjets to get into, both FBOs have been pretty busy.

Prepare in the small plane to get dumped out on Cargo 6, but Landmark has been good about shuttling us out and back from there.

Ron makes a good point at FBO vs. landing runway. Make sure you're already thinking about where you're going to park when you check in with Potomac Approach; a lot of times they'll ask you, then coordinate with the tower to get you on the correct runway. It's not a difficult airport to navigate if you do have a long taxi, but it's just that much easier/shorter if you can start on the correct side. And if they're landing northbound, ask for a long landing. As long as they don't have anyone up your tail pipe, they'll probably give it to you, which, again, will save SEVERAL minutes of taxi time (both FBOs are at the very north end of 11,500' long runways).

Great info! Thanks guys. I was also looking at KHEF, as I've been in there before as well as Leesburg, but Dulles is definitely the closest. The fees at Dulles are very reasonable it seems, except long term, monthly parking as flyingron said.

What Teller said about timing. Take a look at the graphs on FlightAware.

Alternatives are Leesburg (not bad commute from McLean except during rush hour).

Except for the toll road. If one lands at Dulles, one gets to use the Airport Road (toll free, and mostly traffic-free). Leesburg means toll road & much more traffic.

Great info! Thanks guys. I was also looking at KHEF, as I've been in there before as well as Leesburg, but Dulles is definitely the closest. The fees at Dulles are very reasonable it seems, except long term, monthly parking as flyingron said.

IAD is reasonable, and the controllers are accomodating. HEF will be a longer ride in the car than JYO if you choose to go "GA Airport only". But if you choose HEF and you're IFR, ask for a transition on the east side of Dulles rather than going all the way around Martinsburg.

For Landmark, try and get runway 1C/19C. 1L/19R is out in BFE. Signature on 1R/19L.

Thanks Bill. I'll use KIAD, and appreciate the heads up. They are expanding the Metro out to McLean, but that won't happen for a while yet. I've used KHEF to get to DC as a Metro stop is nearby, but that doesn't help for McLean. Beltway traffic S*CKS!

Hope we can meet for dinner or something.

Thanks Bill. I'll use KIAD, and appreciate the heads up. They are expanding the Metro out to McLean, but that won't happen for a while yet. I've used KHEF to get to DC as a Metro stop is nearby, but that doesn't help for McLean. Beltway traffic S*CKS!

Hope we can meet for dinner or something.

Absolutely. Give a heads up when you'll be here.

Drop in at the Udvar-Hazy center (my wife supervises the docent corps there) down at the southside of the field. Good place to kill some time. If you arrive shortly after 4 you can get an hour and a half in without having to pay the insidious parking.

By the way if you like Sushi, the best to be had on the east coast is in McLean (Tachibana on Lowell Ave just off Old Dominion behind Cafe Oggi (which isn't bad Italian either).

Back