Dulles Class B VFR Transition

Deelee

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Deelee
I am based in Manassas (HEF) and have been looking for some places to fly to the north - I am looking at Gettysburg regional (W05) or even Reading (RDG) which is really close to where my dad lives. Long story short - Any tips on asking for transition through the class B so I don't have to go all the way around to the west, then east, then north? I am going VFR since I don't have IR yet.

I have done some light googling and have seen talk of some mythical 'dulles east downwind transition'... Is this a transition that would take me east of dulles straight through to the north of the Bravo and out of the SFRA around LUCKE or WOLLY gate?

It would save a bunch of time (money!) if I could somehow get across the bravo to the north from Manassas. There is remarkably little out there on the interwebs in terms of tips for doing so. I would imagine I would either file out of the SFRA to one of the northern gates, then maybe ask HEF ground for such a transition? Or ask the Potomac departure controller (the one I talk to exiting the SFRA) for the transition when I get handed off to them?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!

I would imagine I would either file out of the SFRA to one of the northern gates, then maybe ask HEF ground for such a transition? Or ask the Potomac departure controller (the one I talk to exiting the SFRA) for the transition when I get handed off to them?
Yep, IIRC, file STAYO HUSEL as your route, and ask ground for the transition so they can start working it early.

Thanks! That is great info. I am struggling to remember where I am supposed to look for this information. I am sure I have seen transitions published on charts during my private pilot training.... But there are no published transitions on the TAC or Washington Sectional. Nor any I can find in the supplement. Is this published anywhere or just local knowledge?

Or would I just do like you said and let Manassas ground (or clearance del) know what I am planning to do?

It will be up to the Dulles controller. The times I requested it, HEF tower handed me off early to approach and tole me to request from them. I was successful about 50% of the time. Occasionally, I'd get it offered without asking - usually early in the AM.

Inbound to HEF later in the day was a crap shot. Depends on which runways and whether it's push time at Dulles. Last time the had me set up for it, took me to the edge of the Class B, canceled the routing, and sent me out to Martinsburg, then south ("stay clear of the Bravo").

If you get it, great, but don't count on it.

FE19BB97-51F5-48B1-8D66-4948A7DC9935.jpegBD4281D4-C7D3-4E14-8102-8A6F32567588.jpeg @Deelee perhaps it is the VFR Flyway Planning Chart Baltimore-Washington?

You can find it on ForeFlight and other apps as well for download.

(FYI - if you’re trying to find FLY charts on ForeFlight, you can go to the Documents tab at the bottom, then click on the FAA “drive” on the left, then look for the folder called “FLY charts”)

Thanks!! I will look at that.

In the image attached I don’t see anything called east downwind transition though.

Next flight from HEF to the north I am going to ask ground for it and see what happens.

Last edited:
(FYI - if you’re trying to find FLY charts on ForeFlight, you can go to the Documents tab at the bottom, then click on the FAA “drive” on the left, then look for the folder called “FLY charts”)
The flyway charts are integrated as a map layer now.

Back