Dui

U

Unregistered

This is going to sound strange.

Here is the history,

2 DUI's 3 years apart, last on 12 years ago. First one slap on the wrist dont do it again. Second much the same, required 20 hour counseling.

*Yes, I was wrong and stupid and regret every bit of it. Glad only my pocketbook, ego and reputation was hurt and nobody else was.

1 5 mile over the limit speeding ticket in the last 12 years.

I am Military and have a Commercial Fixed/Multieng and Rotary Wing certicate with type ratings from Military comp and well over 2500+ hours in the last 7 years and presently hold a Military Flight physical as well as a Top Secret require for my job. I have never had a civilian medical, as I never needed one and have never flown as one. The Military knows about my past and had to for my selection to Aviation years ago, so that has never been a factor.

I see alot of information about the process and steps after you already have your medical and certificates, but nothing about anything prior to your ratings.

I am looking for advance notification of what I should expect or need if I decide to get a civilian medical in the future.

Thanks for the help.

Gather your court records....the "laws" database summary or whatever you have. You will get deferred but with 12 years clean in between, I'd bet you'll get a regular issuance after about 8 week's inspection of the documents. :)

I would suggest starting the process with a civilian AME while still active duty or preferably having your service's flight surgeon assist in the civilian application. Gather any letters of reference from your current flight surgeon and chain of command as far up as you can obtain. Keep a copy of your full medical jacket for reference. The more consistent history of clean physical and mental health, the better.

While I was active duty in the Navy, I had an alcoholic blackout during which there was an auto accident and trespassing, neither of which I had any recollection. There was no DUI charge but I was charged with the trespassing.

I was not a Navy pilot but my flight physical was done by a Navy flight surgeon and the medical was still submitted to the FAA. I reported the charge on the application. They came back with a request for a mental health evaluation. So, I got to do a couple interviews, look at ink blots, numbers and some weird test that put me to sleep a third of the way through the 500 questions.

The FAA accepted that and issued my medical. I have a feeling I got through that a LOT easier with Navy doctors than I would have with civilian doctors.

Could be. But Aeromedical likes that 12 year spotless interval. If he can document that, there are almost NO diseases of aeromedical significance that can be associated with the 2 earlier DUIs.

Gentlemen,

Thank you for the information. I have all my paperwork from everything and hope to be prepared.

I am actually no hurry other then just wanting to fly civilian on my own when I return from Iraq this tour. I have many years left in the Military, but wanted to get it straight long before I get out.

Other good news was the proposed changes to FAR 61, not requiring a Medical if you have a current Military physical anyway.

Thanks again.

Great Forum.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back