DUI to Reckless Driving

Kane2143

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Kane21
2 years ago, I was arrested for a DUI. I did NOT refuse testing and my BAC was .09. I complied and was released within 2 hours. There was no accident and I was in the car by myself. The DUI was reduced to reckless driving and I received probation for it. They required me to take treatment classes, pay fines etc. In exchange I would not receive a reckless driving conviction and it would not be added on my public driving record. My driver’s license was never suspended or revoked. I have no other arrests, tickets or anything at all. I served honorably in the military for 12 years. This is the only blemish on my record. Is it at all possible to still get a pilot’s license and become an airline pilot? Even if it’s a regional job.

The DUI was reduced to reckless driving and I received probation for it. They required me to take treatment classes, pay fines etc. In exchange I would not receive a reckless driving conviction and it would not be added on my public driving record.
So that means no conviction of anything?
Question 18v. on the MedXpress form covers this in terms of any arrest related to DUI so has to be answered but perhaps the wording of the answer would be helpful. In this case, I would probably ask for help on the form but could it be something along the lines of:
Arrested once for DUI on May 2021, charges dropped.
Is that the accurate but short version?

I don’t think the charges were technically dropped. In my state, you’re allowed to receive supervision for a first offense misdemeanor. With supervision, you don’t get a conviction and it doesn’t enter your record if you comply with whatever punishment they give you. That’s what I received. If I would’ve broken any laws during that probationary period, I would’ve received a conviction. Short answer: May 2021 Arrested for a DUI, reduced to reckless NON Conviction.

lol - I am not a lawyer and did not sleep in a Holiday Inn last night.
So, I have no understanding of the differences between a "non-conviction" and "charges dropped".

I would default to paying for an aviation legal consult beforehand to phrase it proper and in the best possible light.

lol - I am not a lawyer and did not sleep in a Holiday Inn last night.
So, I have no understanding of the differences between a "non-conviction" and "charges dropped".

I would default to paying for an aviation legal consult beforehand to phrase it proper and in the best possible light.
I know it’s a very difficult question to answer lol. Thanks for taking the time out anyway, it’s much appreciated.

The wet reckless reduction doesn't mean anything to the FAA. You were caught driving with a .09 BAC. You should be putting together all the history of your offense as well as obtaining a driving record of everyplace you lived/had licenses. Then go to a good AME. You possibly will be issued but expect the FAA to follow up with you and you will need all this stuff and a personal statement.

You have to report any arrest or conviction "which resulted in attendance at an educational or rehabilitation program."

Instructions for the MedXPress form have additional info. As relates to Q 18v.

Letter (v) of this subheading asks if you have ever been: (1) arrested and/or convicted (which may include paying a fine, or forfeiting bond or collateral) of an offense involving driving while intoxicated by, while impaired by, or while under the influence of alcohol or a drug; or (2) arrested, convicted and/or subject to an administrative action by a state or other jurisdiction for an offense for which your license was denied, suspended, cancelled, or revoked or which resulted in attendance at an educational or rehabilitation program. Individual traffic arrests and/or convictions are not required to be reported if they did not involve: alcohol or a drug; suspension, revocation, cancellation, or denial of driving privileges; or attendance at an educational or rehabilitation program.

If “yes” is checked, a description of the arrest(s), and/or conviction(s), and/or administrative action(s) must be given in the EXPLANATIONS box. The description must include: (1) the alcohol or drug offense for which you were arrested and/or convicted or the type of administrative action involved (e.g., attendance at an alcohol treatment program in lieu of conviction; license denial, suspension, cancellation, or revocation for refusal to be tested; educational safe driving program for multiple speeding arrests and/or convictions, etc.); (2) the name of the state or other jurisdiction involved; and (3) the date of the arrest(s), and/or convictions and/or administrative action(s). The FAA may check state motor vehicle driving licensing records to verify your responses.

I would post this in the medical forum. You will get better answers there.

Back