DUI/ Student Sport Pilot- Student Form 8710

U

Unregistered

Hello,

I am a student getting ready to solo. I am going for my sport pilot so medical is not an issue. My question is on Form 8710 a question reads:

"Have you ever been convicted for violation of any Federal or State
statutes relating to narcotic drugs, marijuana, or depressant or
stimulant drugs or substances. "

I have a DUI conviction so I assume I have to answer "yes". My question is this... is this going to be a barrier to me soloing? Or even becoming a pilot at that?

Advice is appreciated... Thank you so much.

That question on the 8710 does not cover a DUI unless you were under the influence of something other than alcohol, which in that context is not consdered a narcotic drug, marijuana, or depressant or stimulant drug or substance. So, if the DUI was for alcohol, you can answer "no."

That said, I sure hope you learned your lesson and have fixed the problem -- and for your flying's sake, don't let it happen again! If it does, you're going to have to tell the FAA about that past DUI when they start asking about the new one (which, once you get your Student Pilot certificate, would have to be reported within 60 days per 14 CFR 61.15). That would result in a whole lot of very expensive medical and psychiatric processes and evaluations, and could result in your flying privileges being suspended or terminated.

If that DUI did involve something other than alcohol, then you'll have to check yes, and there will be further questions and investigation into the event and what the FAA will interpret as a substance abuse problem. The immediate action of the examiner receiving that application with a "yes" in that box is as follows:
If the applicant checks “YES,” the applicant must indicate the date of final conviction. The examiner must determine whether the date of final conviction was more or less than 1 year from the date of application and proceed as follows:
(1) If the date of final conviction is more than 1 year before the date of the application and has been previously indicated, the applicant should indicate “NO CHANGE” in the block. If the date of final conviction was not previously indicated, the applicant should enter the date of the final conviction in the block. The DPE may conduct the practical test and, if the practical test is satisfactorily accomplished, the applicant may be awarded the appropriate airman certificate and rating.
(2) If the date of final conviction is less than 1 year before the date of application, the examiner must decline the application, take no certificate action, and perform no testing of the applicant in accordance with the provisions of § 61.15(a)(1).

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back