DUI in past

O

Old-er

I'm 53 and looking to start on work on a private pilots license. I had a DUI 33 years ago which I had .12 BAC and plead guilty. I may have the documentation buried in a box in my basement, have to do some digging.

I was ready to get my 3rd class medical done but after reading this forum I put this on hold. My only other issues are bordeline on high blood pressure, current doc doesn't want to put me on BP meds, and I wear hearing aids for high frequency loss but I can function without them.

What is the general opinion on going for a 3rd class medical.

I believe that the trigger point for the FAA is 0.15 BAC; below that, with no further issues, I'd guess you'll get your medical without issue.

33 years ago? I don’t think you will have a problem. But I am not an AME so wait for a more authoritative answer.

-Skip

Get that box dug out. You'll need the records from that as well as a driver's history from every place you've lived since.

Whatever you do make sure you have a consultation with an AME that knows what they're doing before you submit the online form and go for an actual physical.

report it ... I expect the FAA will say "be a good boy" and issue certificate, after seeing what records you have.

Thank you all for the info. The rest of the driving history is pretty boring. Speeding ticket in 1995.

I will reach out for a consult before going any further.

It doesn't matter much what the rest of your history is as long as it doesn't contain another DUI. The FAA will want to see that this was a lone occurrence.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back