Duh... with a video (Waco)

ebetancourt

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Ernie
OK, so my problems with spins was just that, my problem. Last week, I flew with spins on my mind. Some of you may recall, that I had several ideas on what was wrong causing my spins to be spirals. So I reviewed the video. I was able to spin the first try, then three straight spirals...

The videos revealed that as usual the pilot was the problem. Simply put, I was slow on the rudder input. Not that I started late, just that the movement was slow. So today I went up with the intent of trying a diving box entry, the 45 up and the spin. I had intended to keep going, but even at a much higher entry, the 45 up is very brief, at the end of the spin I was too low and I had finally gotten back into spin ability so I was happy. I did overshoot the recovery, but this was the first real spin since last spring. Since I don't have a box handy, the long time between the 45 up and the spin is so that I can look around for traffic.

Since several people have asked about the videos, I edited and posted today's flight. My first will probably be my last. After seeing the good stuff others have posted this is more in the way of comic relief, but I am having fun, and knocking off 40 or so years of aerobatic rust.

I need to find someone to video this from the ground and/or provide some critique. The aerobatic GW limit eliminates the possibility of an instructor, even if there was one around here. Since my flying seems to work out to two 30 minute flights a week, this is a slow process for me.

Anyway, keep the snide comments to a minimum :D:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIPV5NgqmcI

I threw in the landing for extra points;)

This is all from the camera I mentioned previously. Weighs about an ounce and since I don't wear a headset (Halo forever!) it is mounted on an elastic headband with a small aluminum bracket.

I think that was a good video! Really, the headband mounting for that camera works well. And you 45 up looked good, maybe even longer than necessary but then you want as much altitude as needed before the spin I suppose.

That big ol' Waco is just draggy as heck... Looks like you're figuring out the timing.

Dang Ernie - are you sure about that aerobatic gross with maybe just enough fuel for a safe acro flight? Sure would like a ride in that. :)

Since you don't have a calibrated sighting device, don't worry too much about the accuracy of those 45 lines until you get some ground critiquing.

One those spin entries, you'll want to hold just a little rudder in the direction you want to spin as you slow down for the spin entry. This will keep the plane from breaking in the wrong direction initially, as happened here. It will also help with issues of spriraling vs. spinning. The other thing that will help get a true spin entry to is to make absolutely sure the airplane doesn't settle at all on the line into the spin. Keep the stick steadily coming back, and get the airplane to climb very slightly. At the first indication of a stall, quickly apply full rudder, immediately followed by full aft stick. You'll also want to practice pushing over to vertical immediately after the spin stops, since a 1-turn spin in any airplane naturally stops with the nose well shallow of a vertical down attitude.

Do you still have a conflict with the Morganton contest this week? We spent the day Saturday hacking out a center marker in the woods. Looks pretty decent.

Eric

I think that was a good video! Really, the headband mounting for that camera works well. And you 45 up looked good, maybe even longer than necessary but then you want as much altitude as needed before the spin I suppose.

That big ol' Waco is just draggy as heck... Looks like you're figuring out the timing.

Thanks Jeanie! That little camera (this is the wide angle version) at about $90 for the camera only has just been a great help for me. I need to start higher for the dive into the "box" because the net difference is about minus 1,000ft. I gain 1,000 feet less in the 45 up than I lose building the speed. :rolleyes: This was my first time since Eric said I could do the 3 dips on a down line. I was ~180 when I pulled to the level :yes: Felt good until I got back and noticed I lost a few inspection plates. Apparently the ones lined up with the spring fore and aft must've lifted a little when I pulled up and at that speed the airstream did the rest and they departed. No damage to the airplane, so lesson learned.

Dang Ernie - are you sure about that aerobatic gross with maybe just enough fuel for a safe acro flight? Sure would like a ride in that. :)

Since you don't have a calibrated sighting device, don't worry too much about the accuracy of those 45 lines until you get some ground critiquing.

One those spin entries, you'll want to hold just a little rudder in the direction you want to spin as you slow down for the spin entry. This will keep the plane from breaking in the wrong direction initially, as happened here. It will also help with issues of spriraling vs. spinning. The other thing that will help get a true spin entry to is to make absolutely sure the airplane doesn't settle at all on the line into the spin. Keep the stick steadily coming back, and get the airplane to climb very slightly. At the first indication of a stall, quickly apply full rudder, immediately followed by full aft stick. You'll also want to practice pushing over to vertical immediately after the spin stops, since a 1-turn spin in any airplane naturally stops with the nose well shallow of a vertical down attitude.

Do you still have a conflict with the Morganton contest this week? We spent the day Saturday hacking out a center marker in the woods. Looks pretty decent.

Eric

A short ride is probably doable, climb, sequence, land. I think I had most of what you suggest figured out last spring. I really, really need to fly more. I have been focused on staying coordinated at the stall, and it prefers to drop the right wing and I prefer to spin left because there is a sizable difference in altitude loss between right and left. Next time I will let it get a little uncoordinated. I had been working on getting the nose down at the recovery, but in spite of my plan for a big up 45, I was at 1,500 before I was level so mostly I was ready to stop. No excuse for not recovering on the line.

Other than the slow roll, which I haven't spent anytime on, the rest is coming along. In spite of the POH entry speeds, the reality is that loops and the half Cuban work well from 140 (book = 150 & 155 respectively) and even 135 works OK with a hard pull as was suggested by the Stearman guy.

I have really appreciated all the suggestions here from you and others. I won't make the contest this weekend, I couldn't break loose from work and I need to travel Saturday because work starts on Sunday evening and I don't like to travel the day I am on "duty."

Where was the spin?? I couldn't find it.

Here's a spin in a 140:

Nothing useful to add to the discussion, other than thanks for posting! Interesting to see it from the pilot's perspective.

Never flown/ridden in an open-cockpit, so it's cool to hear those wires whistling in the video.

You can "dive" from above 3000 to a level that will help you not be at 1500 so soon... As long as you are in the box for the first figure. Primary doesn't get dinged for going out...

Eric will correct me if I'm wrong....

You can "dive" from above 3000 to a level that will help you not be at 1500 so soon... As long as you are in the box for the first figure. Primary doesn't get dinged for going out.

The boundary judges aren't used at all during Primary flights, so it doesn't even matter if you start figure 1 outside the box. This would get you a zero on the 1st figure in the other categories. No boundary penalties in Primary, but if you go way out, or are not generally positioned well, your presentation scores will suffer.

Ernie, you can "dive" into the box from whatever altitude is required so that you end the sequence at or above 1500' AGL. You will want to plan on ending a few hundred feet high, since going low in Primary is a big no no. And you've got a big airplane, so it will still show well if you fly a little higher. So try entering the box at 3500' and dive down to 2500' or so while doing your 3 wing dips before pulling for the 45 upline. This means you'll probably enter the spin around 3000', and be down to around 2000' for the half cuban, which will likely be an additional altitude loser by a couple hundred feet. The loop, turn, and roll will be at the same altitude. You just need to play around with it and see what altitude works. Dive in from 4000' if you need to.

If, during a contest, you botch your box entry and end up too low before pulling for the 45 and know you won't complete the sequence above 1500', you are not obligated to start the sequence. Just wing wag again, climb and re-enter the box. No penalty. But do this more than once and the judges will be getting aggravated waiting around for you. :)

Ernie,

Cool video, I was just up yesterday practicing slow rolls exclusively, finished up outing them into outside Cubans. The good thing about big biplanes and acro is when most other planes run out of energy to roll upright at the top of a loop or similar, those big wings still have enough airflow over them to make that one last roll. albeit painfully slow.

Mike-

Nice video, please post more. I like pilot perspective videos. Your Waco looks like it would be fun to do that type of flying in. Having never done aero, I could only imagine what it would be like to do that in an open cockpit. No snide comments here btw!

Please post pics of your bird to. Would love to see her.

David

Inspiring comments, thanks. We have decided that some videos of aerobatics from the pilot's perspective and from outside would make good attention getters for a trade show booth (non aviation) with interspersed commercial messages. If we get anything done I will post it (without the messages ;-) )

Back