Duh Mare uses the DC 150 scare to play dumb again

mikea

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iWin
Hours after a small plane strayed within three miles of the White House, prompting a frenzied evacuation of the Capitol and the executive mansion, Daley claimed he'd been vindicated.

"Everybody made fun of me" when a fleet of bulldozers rolled into Meigs Field under cover of darkness to carve giant X-shaped trenches into the lakefront airport's only runway on the night of March 30-31, 2003, Daley said.

"They said, 'Why do we need this?' That's why closing that airport down was the best thing we did."

http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-daley12.html

But Mare, the plane that threatened DC didn't come from anywhere nearby... "See? THAT'S WHY!"

He's very good at failing to understand the logic until you're worn out.

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]"It's all part of homeland security. . . . There's [only] four places that are protected [like that] in the country. No one else is protected [from] small aircraft. You have to protect the huge downtown areas of America's cities."[/font] [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]The four protected locations are Washington, New York, California's Disneyland and Disney World in Orlando, Fla.[/font]

Wow.. Disney has fighter jets protecting it? Go Mickey.

wbarnhill said:
Wow.. Disney has fighter jets protecting it? Go Mickey.
Disney's lobbyists got language REQUIRING the FAA to create the Disney flight restrictions inserted into the original bill that funded the Iraq war, knowing no one would vote against it nor even slow it down.

It's not up to the FAA. It's law. The controllers around here take it as a joke. One day I heard the following exchange:

Beech 123: "Executive tower, Beech 123 over Disney, 2000 feet, inbound with Charlie."
Tower: "Aircraft over Disney, Callsign unreadable. Be advised you're in violation of a TFR over Disney that extends to 3,500 feet agl."
Three minutes later ...
"Executive tower, Beech 123, 12 west, 3,600 feet, inbound with Charlie."

Meanwhile, in Gotham City... Mayor Mike Bloomberg says: "If that happened here, I'd probably stay right where I am. I've flown in a Cessna 172 and I know planes that size are not dangerous".

Not a direct quote, but a close paraphrase to the current newspaper headline.

Makes me glad I am in New York, not Chicago.

-Skip

Ken Ibold said:
Disney's lobbyists got language REQUIRING the FAA to create the Disney flight restrictions inserted into the original bill that funded the Iraq war, knowing no one would vote against it nor even slow it down.

It's not up to the FAA. It's law. ...

Actually, the Disney TFRs were tacked on to the Omnibus Spending Bill = The National Budget. The sad thing is the budget bill has to be passed every year. Disney made sure the money flowed so their provision stayed in for this year's budget.

"We have the best congress that money can buy." -- Will Rogers

The el-stinko "REAL ID" just was approved 100-0 in the senate. IT was tacked on to latest bill giving more $billions for the war in Iraq.

What the big deal? You just have to provide a birth certificate when you renew your driver's license. The lines at the bureau aren't long enough? What if yours came from Yugoslavia? Can you find that on a map?

In Chicago, flaky Alderman Natarus tacked on his pet cellphone ban onto a routine traffic expenditure bill. The city council followed orders as usual and passed the bill unanimously. Now, it'll be illegal to hold a cellphone while driving in Chicago. Never mind that it's not the type of phone but using any phone that is the problem.

Last edited:
i always heard the disney tfr's were designed to eliminate those annoying banner planes that flew all over disney at 600ft. disney had been looking for a way to stop them for decades. common belief here in fla, fwiw. tc

tom clark said:
i always heard the disney tfr's were designed to eliminate those annoying banner planes that flew all over disney at 600ft. disney had been looking for a way to stop them for decades. common belief here in fla, fwiw. tc
But not because they were annoying guests ... because they were advertising things that competed with Disney for tourist dollars. You KNOW how desperate Disney has become to keep visitors of their hotels from leaving Disney property. That's what their new baggage check service is designed to do: prevent guests from renting cars so they're more inclined to stay on the property for meals, shopping, etc.

mikea said:
The el-stinko "REAL ID" just was approved 100-0 in the senate. IT was tacked on to latest bill giving more $billions for the war in Iraq.

What the big deal? You just have to provide a birth certificate when you renew your driver's license. The lines at the bureau aren't long enough? What if yours came from Yugoslavia? Can you find that on a map?

Yeah, I'm not quite sure I like the Real ID thing. The information basically states that you'll have to provide all kinds of different identification, and the department of homeland security can change the requirements on a whim. Furthermore, DHS has indicated they would like RFID tags embedded in the cards, so they can be scanned without physically holding the card. So... what happens if someone else has one of these scanners? Brings a whole new realm of identity theft, with much more dangerous stakes considering the information they're wanting to put onto the ID card.

But the common statement is "If you're not guilty of anything, why should you be worried?"

*waves to his privacy*

wbarnhill said:
Furthermore, DHS has indicated they would like RFID tags embedded in the cards, so they can be scanned without physically holding the card.
I sense a cottage industry of designer scan-blocking "wallets" for keeping your card from getting pinged. But of course, then they'll have to outlaw that in the name of "security." Hello Big Brother.

wbarnhill said:
Yeah, I'm not quite sure I like the Real ID thing. The information basically states that you'll have to provide all kinds of different identification, and the department of homeland security can change the requirements on a whim. Furthermore, DHS has indicated they would like RFID tags embedded in the cards, so they can be scanned without physically holding the card. So... what happens if someone else has one of these scanners? Brings a whole new realm of identity theft, with much more dangerous stakes considering the information they're wanting to put onto the ID card.

But the common statement is "If you're not guilty of anything, why should you be worried?"

*waves to his privacy*

There's enough noise from the states that I don't think Real ID will ever be more than a bad dream. It's an obvious intrusion on state's right's, and will end up in court. With luck, it'll also lead to some more proponents of strong central government in the House and Senate going home next election.

Ken Ibold said:
I sense a cottage industry of designer scan-blocking "wallets" for keeping your card from getting pinged. But of course, then they'll have to outlaw that in the name of "security." Hello Big Brother.

In that case I might have to build a scanner "Zapper" which would render the scanner incapable of reading anybody's wallet. A couple KW on the right frequency ought to wipe out the front end. Of course it might wipe out all the RFID's nearby as well, and that would just be too bad:yes:.

Dateline Chicago, 2003. Terrorists attack downtown airport. The leader of the terrorists, Mayor Richard Daly, states......

Oh and Wm?
Yeah, I'm not quite sure I like the Real ID thing.....But the common statement is "If you're not guilty of anything, why should you be worried?"

*waves to his privacy*
Try "waves goodby to his Constitutional rights!"

Papers, please?

lancefisher said:
In that case I might have to build a scanner "Zapper" which would render the scanner incapable of reading anybody's wallet. A couple KW on the right frequency ought to wipe out the front end. Of course it might wipe out all the RFID's nearby as well, and that would just be too bad:yes:.
If it comes to pass, can I be your friend?

:goofy:

I think this may be the first time where all of us are in agreement...

This isn't prophesized in Revelations is it?

lancefisher said:

Now, Lance, you and I both know that the Government will pay 1000x the normal cost for a scanner to get one that is supposedly "hardened", and the crooks will just get ones that they can throw away..... if they don't just get 'em surplus (like the GPS modules that were available early on). Then when the Government finds some urgent reason to scan us, they will simply buy a bunch of the cheap ones and turn off the safeguards (just like GPS during Gulf War I).

wbarnhill said:
I think this may be the first time where all of us are in agreement...

This isn't prophesized in Revelations is it?

Revelation does have similar prophecies. I'm more concerned about the gps chip implants that have become so popular for kids in Mexico City. They are being used in pets here. How long till DHS tries to require them as a security measure?

lancefisher said:

Just wrap the card in aluminum foil. More than enough shielding to prevent it from being read, regardless of the RF power output of the reader.

Ghery said:
Just wrap the card in aluminum foil. More than enough shielding to prevent it from being read, regardless of the RF power output of the reader.

Sure, that or copper foil would be plenty of shielding, but no doubt the TSA would ban the sale of metal foil on the grounds that it could be used this way.

Quit trying to justify Meigs mistake, Mr. Mayor

May 13, 2005

BY NEIL STEINBERG SUN-TIMES COLUMNIST

Opening shot

Meigs Field was an urban jewel and a unique lakefront asset that will never be replaced. As tragic as its loss was to the vibrancy of downtown Chicago, worse was the dead-of-night manner in which Mayor Daley destroyed it two years ago, without question the most extreme abuse of power he has committed in a decade and a half in office-- well, as least the most extreme we know about. Even if it were a good move -- and it wasn't -- he did it the wrong way. I might want an omelet for breakfast, but that doesn't mean I want Mayor Daley to break into my house and prepare it while I sleep.

So Daley should pause before he uses the panic Wednesday over a straying Cessna in Washington, D.C. as some kind of justification for his past misdeeds.

"That's why closing that airport down was the best thing we did," he said, managing to be both ludicrous and to minimize his actual accomplishments at the same time. How does tearing up Meigs Field for an unneeded lakefront park protect Chicago? Does it keep a terrorist from attacking the city using aircraft?

Of course not. A 747 towing a large banner reading "FLYING BOMB" could lumber toward Chicago, do a few circles above the Loop, waggle its wings in a salute at Oak Street Beach, and then take out the Water Tower and -- given the mayor's dismal record on keeping tabs of what's going on in this city -- Daley wouldn't know about it until months later, when Tim Novak and Steve Warmbir laid it out in graphic detail in the Sun-Times.
http://www.suntimes.com/output/steinberg/cst-nws-stein13.html

Back