Ductless heating/cooling solutions and your opinions

Getonit

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Mark
I am in the middle of remodeling my 1911 town house in Richmond VA and one of the big projects is the cooling system. The plan was when I redid the rooms on the back house half of the house to install a small mini split for the kitchen and the upstairs bedroom above kitchen, about 350 sq feet each, unfortunately after I had done all of the work, removing ductwork, which wasn't much and inadequate for the space, the entire unit took a dump. I suffered all of last year with no AC except for portable unit in my room. I have installed ductless unit at my auxiliary office here in AR and it works fantastic. I like it, quiet, cools and generally heats OK.

However now we are talking about my whole house. I applied for estimates on home advisor and they were idiots, one guy couldn't even remember how many units to put upstairs, took no notes and the other guy just said it was expensive, he was up to $15k in labor alone. freaking BS, I know how easy it is to install one, attach mounting brackets, drill hole in wall, and let the AC pros handle the vacuum evacuation, testing, etc. not rocket science.

I guess I am just looking for real world opinions from people with experience not the usual internet garbage.....wait a minute...

Not an expert, but did investigate a ton (get it?) of AC stuff for a replacement last summer.

How big is your town house? These mini split systems are on the small side capacity-wise. Make sure you get a good Manual J calculation to know how much cooling in tons/BTU you need. You can take a shot at doing your own here: http://www.loadcalc.net

Back