Duck Duck Goose-Cam

For some reason, this video reminds me of the recent Mythbusters episode about what happens when the shiz hits the fan...

lol, believe me, I've hit the ground a couple of times on downwind when I had an engine out (head gasket blew), and once other when when I ran out of fuel... landing downwind means fast groundspeed (as we all know), but I couldn't run that fast and ended up cleaning mud out of my nose and eyes and ears and teeth, haha.

Pretty Cool Shane! How was the camera mounted? On some sort of small parafoil? Looks like you are getting the hang of things compared to some of your earlier 'landing gear retracted' videos. Sure was a great weekend to be out.

I'm wondering how much experimentation was required before you found a way to attach the camera that resulted in the pilot being included in the majority of the shots!

I'm wondering how much experimentation was required before you found a way to attach the camera that resulted in the pilot being included in the majority of the shots!

Hi Grant, that was my 2nd flight testing. My first one had the tow line twice as long as it was in this video and we discovered upon review of the video that the whole shot was focused about 3 feet below me and I was never in the video but our shadows (mine and the flying camera) could be seen on occasion flying in formation.

After this video (the one in this message thread), we raised the camera up another 2 feet to the very top of the wing and connected it to the trailing edge and then began HD video'ing. The results were awesome! Too big for YouTube, but I'm editing down the size of the video and will post it later. It really is cool to see yourself flying from a wimgman position.

5114543111_d85febe231.jpg

That's me there in the yellow with the camera hanging off the left trailing edge of the wing. This is just a capture from the same video but I like the look down final approach.

Now I want to find a battery operated strobe that is observable from at least 3 miles so I can fly till 30 minutes after sunset and take off 30 minutes prior to sunrise (FAR Part 103).

Back