DUATS Viewing Record

Dean V

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Dean V
I don't know if any one has noticed, but DUATS now records for your review every thing you view during your on line briefings. So I guess when the FAA says all available info, you better look at everything on the DUATS site - including the icing chart on a clear day in July.

Last edited:
You are wasting your time if you think you can 'game' the FAA lawyers by flipping through all the reports on DUATS.
If they want to get you, they have ways and you cannot cover all the bases.
Very likely you broke a half dozen traffic regs getting to the office this morning, no matter how carefully you drove.

The DUAT providers have from day one logged everything you accessed. That's why you need a login or at least an N number to get at the information. Believe me it does get looked at after incidents.

For the strawman you propose, they don't even need the icing chart to hang you. If there is icing on that chart there is almost certainly and overreaching AIRMET or other indication of icing in the standard briefing which the FAA will stand up and say "LOOK YOU SAW THAT THERE WERE FORECAST ICING CONDITIONS" and you flew in to them intentionally.

just print off the wx route brief at fltplan.com...its includes everything on a 121 release and is a proven CYA tool by the FAA...im sure there is something similar on duats

Oh, I thought they could just do that by establishing your aircraft had a thermometer and you could see the cloud.

There's no need for a cloud. If the AIRMET says there's a chance of icing. You've got forecast icing conditions and they can hang you if you run into ice regardless of cloud, OAT, etc... Your briefing warned you.

There's no need for a cloud. If the AIRMET says there's a chance of icing. You've got forecast icing conditions and they can hang you if you run into ice regardless of cloud, OAT, etc... Your briefing warned you.

Per the AC you must have composite information that suggest you can reasonably stay clear of any ice.. you have to be able to defend what you choose to fly through but there are many days that an AIRMET isn't enough IMO to warrant "known icing conditions"

Ever seen in the accident report where it says the pilot received a briefing?

How do you think they knew?

The FAA does NOT says "all available info" it says "all available information as it relates to the safety of the flight."

You look at the information that is important to make your specific flight in your specific aircraft safe. A VFR flight on a bright sunny day does not mean you must check which towers have lights out.

Back