DUATS syntax pop quiz...

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
So, you file the following (nobody says ATC will GIVE it to you, but DUATS will accept it):

ROUTE: KFTW KGLE/D0+35 KADM/D0+45 KADS KFTW

Pop quiz: what is the intention of the bolded portions above?

My guess is a round-robin flight plan with DELAYS (/D) on the ground of the specified number of minutes. However, I cannot find it in the online help, so I don't know where you came up with it. I'm too tired to pull out the AIM or FAR right now.

En Route Delays - consists of an element separator (/), followed by the letter D, followed by the hours and minutes separated by a plus sign (+). Example: a fifteen minute enroute delay at Nottingham VORTAC is typed OTT/D0+15.

ejensen said:
En Route Delays - consists of an element separator (/), followed by the letter D, followed by the hours and minutes separated by a plus sign (+). Example: a fifteen minute enroute delay at Nottingham VORTAC is typed OTT/D0+15.

I forgot I started this thread; sorry to keep you all 'stranded'. Eric got it right. You plan to stop and fuel up at FTW and want to stay on the same flight plan? FTW/D0+30.

Wow.. Interesting.. Anybody have any idea if ATC ever actually gives this type of clearance? If so, does it happen OFTEN enough to be viable?

-Chris

CJones said:
Anybody have any idea if ATC ever actually gives this type of clearance?
They do, but only at airports where there is no other IFR traffic. I've never filed a flight plan that way but I've filed separate ones and asked ATC for a through clearance.

CJones said:
Wow.. Interesting.. Anybody have any idea if ATC ever actually gives this type of clearance? If so, does it happen OFTEN enough to be viable?

-Chris

It's primarily used for VFR flight plans, not IFR. If you think of it in that context (search and rescue), it makes more sense. Helps them better define the circle in which to look for you if you go missing 3 hours into the trip (if they know you were going to be on the ground for an hour at an intermediate stop).

Troy Whistman said:
I forgot I started this thread; sorry to keep you all 'stranded'. Eric got it right. You plan to stop and fuel up at FTW and want to stay on the same flight plan? FTW/D0+30.
Where did you find the cite for it? That's what I was lacking.

Don't do this on your VFR flight plans.

You won't be overdue until 30 minutes after your final stop. If you disappear on your first leg, that will add hours before anyone realizes you're missing. File a separate flight plan for each leg.

Jon

gprellwitz said:

I found my answer in the DUAT help in the Cirrus program and the online telnet session.

gprellwitz said:

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/re...65d2d14290631/ee7d16b3ba03d2a6?lnk=raot&hl=en

Canada's system does it too (search page for "stopover"):
http://www.tc.gc.ca/CivilAviation/publications/tp14371/RAC/3-1.htm

I couldn't find anything on DUAT's help, but... if you telnet to direct.duats.com and use the old-style interface rather than the web interface, and select "be prompted for a flight plan", when you get to the "Route:" prompt enter a ? and follow the instructions, and you'll find a reference to this notation type.

The AIM says you should not file a stopover flight plan if you're going to be delayed more than an hour. IFR, you'll probably not get it unless it's a really sleepy town. VFR, it's intended for "drop off a passenger and go", "pick up a passenger and go", or "splash the tanks and go". Not for "take the crew car and go into town for lunch".

Back