DUATS - Output question

saracelica

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
saracelica
So I'm doing my flight planning for a trip. Hoping the wx holds up. (Yes I *could* ask my friend the CFI for help but I'm trying to get away from asking him - he has two new primary students he's dealing with so I'll ask you folks)

Under Destination Closest Terminal Weather
Runway 18/36 transition area SOFT CAUTION advised
What is "SOFT CAUTION"?

Thanks!

Are we talking about grass here? Soft from the rain? What airport?
Oh that runway is Turf. That is hopefully my D'oh moment of the day. Hopefully winds favor the paved runway.

62D is my hopeful destination. :)

Be careful with the plain language DUATS. Some abbreviations come across wrong. Not that this is the case here.

Be careful with the plain language DUATS. Some abbreviations come across wrong. Not that this is the case here.

My favorite was the word VSBYS which showed up frequently in area forecasts got translated as "Variable snow, blowing spray, and snow." That and it's inability to distinguish MODERATE from Hagerstown, MD.

Unfortunately, the author of most of the translator (who used to be pretty much on top of reported errors) died a few years back in a plane crash heading home from Oshkosh.

Unfortunately, the author of most of the translator (who used to be pretty much on top of reported errors) died a few years back in a plane crash heading home from Oshkosh.

And... Apparently didn't document or make his code supportable by anyone???

Back