DUATS GPS Direct Route Coding

Mooney Fan

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Mooney Fan
After a little over 10 hours of VFR flight since my 14 year lapse from flying, I need to complete an Instrument IPC so I'm doing some prep homework. When I paused from flying in 03', GPS approaches etc. were just coming on line, so I need to bone up on the new to me GPS en-route and approach IFR procedures. I'm flying an Archer with GTN650 GPS.

In Duats while filing an IFR flight plan, there are choices for routing. The FAA preferred routing for my trip comes up blank. However, when I select 'Get Duats Routes' I get the following

Virtual Flight is M02-KBWG

Recommended Routes:
Low Altitude Route: Use this Route
CEBDA V49 TANDS

GPS Direct Route: Use this Route
CKV120021

GPS Direct Route - Without Fixes: Use this Route
Direct

The low en-route Is clear. But the GPS direct route is where I have a couple questions

- When looking at CKV, is that the town Clarksville? Or the Clarksville airport or the Clarksville VOR?
- And what does the number sequence 120021 after CKV represent under the GPS Direct route?

Thanks in advance for the help

-MF

After a little over 10 hours of VFR flight since my 14 year lapse from flying, I need to complete an Instrument IPC so I'm doing some prep homework. When I paused from flying in 03', GPS approaches etc. were just coming on line, so I need to bone up on the new to me GPS en-route and approach IFR procedures. I'm flying an Archer with GTN650 GPS.

In Duats while filing an IFR flight plan, there are choices for routing. The FAA preferred routing for my trip comes up blank. However, when I select 'Get Duats Routes' I get the following

Virtual Flight is M02-KBWG

Recommended Routes:
Low Altitude Route: Use this Route
CEBDA V49 TANDS

GPS Direct Route: Use this Route
CKV120021

GPS Direct Route - Without Fixes: Use this Route
Direct

The low en-route Is clear. But the GPS direct route is where I have a couple questions

- When looking at CKV, is that the town Clarksville? Or the Clarksville airport or the Clarksville VOR?
- And what does the number sequence 120021 after CKV represent under the GPS Direct route?

Thanks in advance for the help

-MF
CKV is the VOR 120021 is the bearing and distance to a point on the route.

CKV is the VOR 120021 is the bearing and distance to a point on the route.

That is what I thought, but the CKV VOR looks to be 360/000 @30.5 miles from Dickson (M02). Is the point on the route the numbers represent from the CKV VOR. i.e, a vector?

-MF

That is what I thought, but the CKV VOR looks to be 360/000 @30.5 miles from Dickson (M02). Is the point on the route the numbers represent from the CKV VOR. i.e, a vector?

-MF
Yes

The points can get sorta interesting when the route crosses center boundaries.

Yes

The points can get sorta interesting when the route crosses center boundaries.

That is odd. Looking over the chart, Bowling Green is ~070 at ~50 miles from CKV. Flying due North from home plate to CKV is at least in the general direction fo BWG, but then turning southeast to 120 degrees for 21 miles seems strange

-MF

That is odd. Looking over the chart, Bowling Green is ~070 at ~50 miles from CKV. Flying due North from home plate to CKV is at least in ther general direction fo BWG, but then turning southeast to 120 degrees for 21 is heading seems strange

-MF
Not sure what you’re looking at. Draw the direct route from M02 to KBWG. Now measure the distance from CKV to that route on the 120 radial.

Not sure what you’re looking at. Draw the direct route from M02 to KBWG. Now measure the distance from CKV to that route on the 120 radial.
Thanks for being patient. I did as you suggested, and yes, it is 21 miles from the CKV on the 120 radial. My assumption was I was flying direct CKV VOR then on course. Thinking it further, being its a direct route from M02-BWG, is the 120021 reference not a route per say, but a cross reference (waypoint) to verify the position on the direct route?

-MF

Thanks for being patient. I did as you suggested, and yes, it is 21 miles from the CKV on the 120 radial. My assumption was I was flying direct CKV VOR then on course. Thinking it further, being its a direct route from M02-BWG, is the 120021 reference not a route per say, but a cross reference (waypoint) to verify the position on the direct route?

-MF
Correct, it is a point on the route.

I have no clue about the requirements for direct to route description beyond what I’ve read about crossing center boundaries. This stuff is built on ancient systems and seems a bit arcane at times. Mostly the details don’t seem important in the cockpit since ATC clears us on the route they want/need. I have heard of them slipping in bearing/distance fixes but it’s rare.

Looking back at the thread I think I see where we diverged a bit on describing the route. I misunderstood your use of the word vector and interpreted it as a geometric descriptor when you clearly meant it in the aeronautical sense.

Looking back at the thread I think I see where we diverged a bit on describing the route. I misunderstood your use of the word vector and interpreted it as a geometric descriptor when you clearly meant it in the aeronautical sense.

Thank you for the help. I am learning the not so subtle differences between the various clearances. To your point re:ATC; I have read where folks file direct knowing they wont likely get it. So might as well be ready to copy something completely different than what was filed. I recall leaving El Monte in So. Cal once and filed direct OXR and actually got it initially only to have So Cal Approach change the clearance as I was holding short waiting on release. They gave me a route like no other. I was copying for days..... Then after checking in on departure, I was cleared direct after all. Good Times

Thanks again Clark1961

-MF

-MF
In ATC-speak, it is FRD....Fix, radial, distance. It is a location that the Center computer will accept and is a handy way to define off-airway locations. Six characters are required: SEA088025 is 25 miles out on the SEA 088 radial.

Bob

Back