Dual XGPS170 - Android Functionality

JohnAJohnson

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
JohnAJohnson
If you have an Android and a Dual XGPS170, Please ask Dual to produce a Status Tool App (like this one for the ipad) for the Android that'll give us the features advertised, including:

• Whether or not the device is receiving an ADS-B signal
• What kind of ADS-B information is being received
• A graphical view of the weather around your current location
• A graphical view of traffic data being received, if any
• The number of GPS satellites in view and their signal strength
• Your location, or whether the device is still waiting for satellite information
• The battery level of the XGPS170
• Whether or not the XGPS170 is charging

The app also allows device settings to be adjusted, including:
• GPS refresh rate
• Indicator brightness
• Sleep timeout

I wrote Dual in September inquiring about the missing features, and they said they are working on an app. I followed up in December and they responded that they are working on an app, but the timeline is unknown. Having been around software development, there is always a timeline when software is being developed. I suspect what he meant to say was, "we have no idea when and if we'll start converting the program to Android."

Subject: Re: LED dimming for night flying
Date: Sat, 07 Sep 2013 15:03:46 -0500
To: xgps170@dualav.com

Robert,
Thanks for the reply. You might want to tell your marketing person to change the web page at http://gps.dualav.com/explore-by-product/xgps170 (under Key Features)

Adjustable brightness LEDs for day and night flying

to:

"Adjustable brightness LEDs for day and night flying. Unless you are an Android user. Then, you must bring a roll of black electrical tape to cover the lights at night."
Thanks!
John Johnson

On 09/04/13 08:57, xgps170@dualav.com wrote:

> Good Morning,
> That feature is only available through the XGPS170 Status tool for apple.
> Sincerely,
> Robert
> XGPS170 Tech Support
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: John Johnson
> Sent: Friday, August 30, 2013 6:15 PM
> To: xgps170@dualav.com
> Subject: LED dimming for night flying
>
> Hi,
> Was just reviewing your AVWeb Oshkosh video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYx7P7kLCcM, and at 1:06, the presenter states, "There are four status LEDs, which are adjustable for day and night flying...".
>
> I am using my XGPS170 with an Android tablet running either Naviator or Avilution's AviationMaps, and for the life of me, I can't figure out how to adjust the LEDs for night flying, and there isn't anything about dimming in the owners manual.
>
> Can you advise?
> Thanks,
> John Johnson

Back