Dual XGPS170 and XGPS190 Warning

JohnAJohnson

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
JohnAJohnson
I have been contacted by Dual and they have taken steps to remedy the situation. I am now very satisfied with the service they are providing in relation to my original issue.

Last edited:
I thought Android tablets had GPS. The only reason I have a Dual is because the non-WiFi iPad has no GPS.

I thought Android tablets had GPS. The only reason I have a Dual is because the non-WiFi iPad has no GPS.

We mainly bought it for ADS-B in.

To extend the OP's post - their app is actually only compatible with iPads. Not iPhones!

With iOS, however, the XGPS does not automatically re-connect via Bluetoot, once it became disconnected. Support says they are working on this issue.

I also noticed, that the 'battery full indication' is quite unreliable.
If charged with some generic USB charger, it never shows full, even though it is actually fully charged.
If connected to an iPad charger, as required in the owner's manual, the chances are only around 50/50 whether it correctly indicates a fully charged battery or not.

XGPS support promised that the the app for the XGPS190 will be available for iOS, Android and also support the older XGPS170.

Frankly, the XGPS170 appears more like a nicely designed beta sample than a finished product....

That's true. My Android tablet's GPS is actually more reliable (quicker to lock on and to stay that way) than the XGPS170s GPS, but like German Guy, I bought it for the ADS-B.

Been using a XGPS170 for almost 2 years now. Whats the issue? Mine works just fine.

I just had a disappointing experience with the XGPS170. Received it on Thursday and it worked briefly then quit with all lights coming on and staying on even when the unit is off. Called the number in the manual for support and they said they do not support the 170 and gave me another number to call. Got voicemail there and left two messages, no return calls. Finally got ahold of someone at the number who insisted that the problem I was experiencing was all about the charger. The unit does not come with a wall charger and the manual clearly states that any computer or USB wall charger is adequate to charge the unit when it is turned off. He is trying to tell me that I need to buy an Apple iPad charger to charge this unit. He's trying to tell me that my Apple iPad Mini 2 charger is not going to work. He is wrong about that, the Apple iPad Mini 2 charger that I have, and I explain this to him, is 12 watts, the same as the Apple iPad charger he wants me to buy and the same as the car charger that comes with the unit. He told me to charge the unit overnight with the car charger and that would fix the problem, of course it didn't. I'll go ahead and send it back to the supplier and they'll send me a new one and hopefully we'll go from there.

Tech support was unknowledgeable and unhelpful and arrogant, though the arrogance could have been, to an extent, us butting heads.

Last edited:
I just purchased an XGPS190 since my iPad never gets a position in the G-550 I am flying. I plugged the XGPS190 in, paired it to my iPad, and I'm still not getting a position. The ADS-B Status Tool shows 9 satellites with SNRs ranging from 27 to 40 (all bars in the green), but it shows 0 satellites used in position calculation. I called Tech Support, got bounced around to a number that takes phone messages, but nobody's returned my call yet. I'm about ready to send this unit back. Any suggestions?

I just purchased an XGPS190 since my iPad never gets a position in the G-550 I am flying. I plugged the XGPS190 in, paired it to my iPad, and I'm still not getting a position. The ADS-B Status Tool shows 9 satellites with SNRs ranging from 27 to 40 (all bars in the green), but it shows 0 satellites used in position calculation. I called Tech Support, got bounced around to a number that takes phone messages, but nobody's returned my call yet. I'm about ready to send this unit back. Any suggestions?

You have answered your own question necroposter.... send it back and quit being a cheapskate. Get a Stratus 3.

Back