Dual XGPS 170 Charging

35B33

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Cal
What are you Dual 170 users doing to recharge it's battery? Got one and it came with a car adapter but no wall plug. Instructions said most wall adapters, computer USB ports, and Apple chargers would work. Cannot run and charge from USB alone and some wall adapters, but can charge.

Used my Samsung Pro 8.4 wall wart (5.3V 2A) with the Dual USB cord and it seemed to work. Turned the power on and the lights came on, great. Got it out the next day to fly and nothing. Plugged in the charger and nothing.

Seller said to call Dual and I did. Rep said wall chargers and USB ports don't work, use Apple or car charger. Put car charger on 14V plane power for the afternoon and still no signs of life. Also tried a USB 3.0 port and nothing.

If I had Apple chargers I would probably be an Apple guy and buy Stratus. Include the wall unit if so critical about charging.

Just sent back to seller for an exchange, how do I make the replacement charge?

5 volts is 5 volts regardless of the brand stamped on the front of the charger. Something is wrong with it.

Nope. I went through the same thing with mine. Won't charge until green light unless it's an apple charger. Tried both my N7 and hisense chargers.

No help from Dual support, except being told to use an Apple charger.

Hmm. Ok, well I stand by my statement... Something is wrong... apparently by design...

Dual support claimed a car outlet was the alternate choice to older Apple chargers and newer Apple chargers wouldn't work. Also suggested a Radio Shack wall adapter that would take the car charger.

The Dual car adapter has 15-30v in and 5v -2100ma output, hard to imagine Samsung's 5.3v 2A somehow damaged it. I am hoping it was just a bad unit as I need in flight charging for the long flying days .

I wish you luck...but don't get your hopes up.

I bought a 12v to 5v 3a dash cam usb converter to use in the plane for power. (I don't have a cigar plug, rather an 1/8" aux power jack) Haven't tried it out yet. The Apple charger I have is 5.1v 2.1a so it oughta work. Shouldn't draw max amps unless the battery gets way low.

Last edited:
We use an aftermarket 2 x 2.1 amp USB port plugged into the round automotive style plug in the plane and have no problem charging / using the 170 as well as an iPad Air at the same time. :dunno:

5V is 5V, however, amperage is the key. Apple chargers provide more current than most.

I've had no trouble with mine using a USB charging port in my surge suppressor power strip. I'm not sure how much current it's rated for. (Apparently as much as an Apple charger.)

John

Dual support claimed a car outlet was the alternate choice to older Apple chargers and newer Apple chargers wouldn't work. Also suggested a Radio Shack wall adapter that would take the car charger./QUOTE]

I have used all my chargers, Apple and otherwise, without any issues. It might be the unit. I had one of the original ones and it would not display traffic and they asked me to return it. The new one charges just as readily regardless of the type of usb charger.

Thanks for the feedback, glad there are workable solutions. Mine charged initially when I received it but was dead the next morning. Its gone and hopefully the replacement is a better unit.

Pilots Mall shipped out a replacement 170 the same day they received my bad one. Replacement seems happy with a variety of charging sources. I am picking up weather and traffic while on the ground (underneath DFW Class B).

Back