Dual G5s vs say a Dynon HDX 10 or G3X

Supereri

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Supereri
For those of you that have flown both G5s and big screen (or all 3) what are your thoughts? I currently have a 10" Dynon with all the bells and whistles (sans autopilot at the moment). I'm thinking about something a bit faster than the stiff leg 182. A couple of planes I've seen have dual G5s or one even has a 10" Dynon. But the 10" Dynon is a lot more than a similar airplane with the dual G5s.

I've flown G1000 and Skyview planes since I started, so I like big screens and I cannot lie... Would love to hear some thoughts on the G5s. One concern I have is traffic on just a GTN750 or ipad with the G5s.

Thoughts?

If you are used to a big screen, going backwards to G5’s is going to leave a lot to be desired.

Now that the AP is approved for the dynon on 182 it’s a no brainer imo.

If you’re starting with steam and just want to kill the vac system, G5s are great.

If you’re upgrading airframes and you current ride has big flat screen in it, you’re not going to want to go back, especially if you’ve grown accustomed to a GPSS autopilot.

Set your budget accordingly and if you’re buying a forever plane, the panel is the place to start.

Now that the AP is approved for the dynon on 182 it’s a no brainer imo.

Approved'ish. They stopped selling the pitch axis due to fitment issues on some airframes, mine included. I'm still waiting for them to get that resolved.

Honestly, I love most things about my current ride, I just want more speed. I think about a Texas Skyways 520 or a pponk in my current ride. But then I've got a similar, or bigger, investment and I'm still flying around with welded gear and slower than say a TR182 with the above equipment.

I picked up about 20 kts with the Texas Skyways O-550. Insurance is a lot higher on a retract.

the Dynon auto pilot brackets are very close to being fixed.

G3X and GFC500…they are approved with no limitations, yes they had a trim problem but they fixed with FAA approval within 8 weeks.

Back