Dual Cross Country Flight with my very first $100 hamburger!

N918KT

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
KT
Today, we flew our cross country flight as planned with an extra stop to go to an airport restaurant for lunch, where I had my very first $100 hamburger!!!

I asked my CFI if Central Jersey Regional Airport has an airport restaurant but he says that Sky Manor Airport in NJ has a restaurant on airport property. So we flew our cross country as planned, with a lunch stop at Sky Manor Airport.

Landing at Doylestown Airport was a hard landing. The approach was okay, only that the winds or turbulence must have pushed the airplane upwards as it was trying to settle on the runway, and we touched down very hard. Ouch! We took off on the runway immediately, which we actually did a touch and go.

Navigating from Doylestown to Central Jersey Regional, the wind was trying to push us south east. I was looking at the avionics, especially the HSI with the GPS course, so he turned the EFIS off so I can look outside. He told me I should correct the wind drift by looking at a landmark outside and fly towards that landmark instead of looking at the HSI. He did compliment during debrief that my navigational skills were good.

The approach into Central Jersey Regional Airport was good but at the last moment we did a go around, with my CFI said we didn't really needed to land at that airport.

Flew to Sky Manor Airport for lunch. It seems that even though the winds were blowing from the east, everyone was using runway 25. My CFI handled the landing since we were landing with a tailwind. Still puzzles me why everyone would land and takeoff with a tailwind at this airport. Had lunch at Sky Manor Airport restaurant, and we overheard a pilot talking with other pilots thinking of doing light-sport training. My CFI went up to him gave him some info about his flight school, and answered some questions he had about the medical requirements of sport pilot.

I then quickly preflighted the Sportstar MAX and my CFI handled the takeoff. We used the autopilot only part of the way back to Allentown, which was pretty cool. He helped me set up the approach into Queen City Airport and I finished the landing.

So we had a debrief after the flight, and he says that my navigational skills were good, but I was looking at the HSI indicator, but eventually I looked out the window more during navigation. He says I made progress with takeoffs and landings, and he told me that I may be able to solo soon, hopefully in 3 weekends (We are not meeting next weekend or the weekend after that, because I am going on vacation and he is going to Oshkosh Airventure). I told him about a CFI's friend suggestion on the Sport Pilot Talk forum about doing the solo before my college semester starts, studying and taking the written exam sometime during my semester, and finishing my training up during winter break, and he approves my CFI's friend idea.

I cannot wait to solo, and I am very excited about it! This is the first time in my training where I thought a solo flight is actually possible and I can imagine myself doing my first solo!

Very nice!!! Really like going up to Sky Manor thinking that's where I'm going to take a buddy when he comes along for his first ride with me and get some lunch

I actually ordered a fish sandwich with French fries and Cherry Coke. For some reason, I got full before finishing my food and my Cherry Coke doesn't really taste like Cherry Coke at all, more a little bit like root beer.

Here are some pictures of me having lunch with my CFI and the view outside the airport restaurant with the airport parking ramp and the view of the runway!

Attachments

• 1011995_10201739031542722_2078766415_n.jpg
    1011995_10201739031542722_2078766415_n.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 65
  • 1011995_10201739031582723_808984582_n.jpg
    1011995_10201739031582723_808984582_n.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 58
  • 1011995_10201739031622724_628026525_n.jpg
    1011995_10201739031622724_628026525_n.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
My airport has a 6/24 orientation and the winds today were from the north and variable. Sometimes favoring 24, other times 6. We had people landing in both directions today. Did the airport where people were landing with a tailwind have a noise abatement requirement? i have been to airports that request you land with a slight tailwind if the winds are below a certain speed.

Just wait until you can boot the instructor out and fly solo on a $100 hamburger run. Big fun :)

Today, we flew our cross country flight as planned with an extra stop to go to an airport restaurant for lunch, where I had my very first $100 hamburger!!!.

Nice write up!. Yesterday was the nicest day in quite a while, glad you enjoyed it! Sky Manor is a nice place for a bit to eat. Good luck on the solo, hope it comes soon!

Gary

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Marauder, IIRC, I think there was a slight east tailwind or winds were light and variable but I really don't know for sure. As far as I know, I don't think there is a noise abatement requirement for Sky Manor Airport.

KT,
I am based at Central Jersey and saw you fly by. We were wondering what kind of plane that was. For your info, there is a great place to eat at our airport also. Pizza and Pasta is located at the bottom of the driveway to the airport. Park on the north ramp, and it is a real short walk. Fuel is also lowest in the area at 5.50 right now. If you stop in, ask someone where Mike the glider tow guys hanger is, and say hello.

Mike G

KT,
I am based at Central Jersey and saw you fly by. We were wondering what kind of plane that was. For your info, there is a great place to eat at our airport also. Pizza and Pasta is located at the bottom of the driveway to the airport. Park on the north ramp, and it is a real short walk. Fuel is also lowest in the area at 5.50 right now. If you stop in, ask someone where Mike the glider tow guys hanger is, and say hello.

Mike G

You did see me fly by yesterday? The plane tail number is N906SL and I think we arrived at Central Jersey at 1 or 1:30 pm, somewhere around those times.

Sky manor has a great breakfast too! I am based at dyl and will agree the crosswind can be tricky there with the narrow runway. No touch and goes at dyl either. Just a heads up if you go there to practice solo.

We should get a sky manor breakfast gtg planned.

Sky manor has a great breakfast too! I am based at dyl and will agree the crosswind can be tricky there with the narrow runway. No touch and goes at dyl either. Just a heads up if you go there to practice solo.

We should get a sky manor breakfast gtg planned.

Oh, I'm sorry I did not know about DYL not allowing touch and gos (or I think I did but forgot). I will let my CFI know that DYL does not allow touch and gos at Doylestown, so we won't make the same mistake again. Hopefully I won't get into too much trouble. Next time, before I go flying, I will be sure to check the Remarks on Airnav.com for each airport, and write it down in my notes so I won't make the same mistake again.

Maybe we should get together at Sky Manor for breakfast someday.

I flew my first hamburger run dual as well but I'm pretty sure it was well over $300.

Back