Dual Battery

pcorman

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Phil Corman
I have 2 batteries in Mooney.
Do I need to replace both at the same time?
Or just the dying batter?

If you have the same dual-battery setup I do in the Ovation where there's only one battery actually used at any given time and a big switch on the panel to choose between them, you can just replace one. In fact, I'd prefer to do it that way, so there's always one newer battery - That way, I wouldn't run the risk of two "aged" batteries both giving up the ghost on a dark ramp on a cold night!

If you had a dual-batteries-in-parallel setup where both were always active, you'd want to replace them both at the same time.

Follow the ICAs for each battery.

( I'll bet neither will pass the tests. )

If you have the same dual-battery setup I do in the Ovation where there's only one battery actually used at any given time and a big switch on the panel to choose between them, you can just replace one. In fact, I'd prefer to do it that way, so there's always one newer battery - That way, I wouldn't run the risk of two "aged" batteries both giving up the ghost on a dark ramp on a cold night!

If you had a dual-batteries-in-parallel setup where both were always active, you'd want to replace them both at the same time.

When you maintain your batteries IAW the service instructions given in the ICAs for the Battery it will not fail on any ramp.

Simply because the standards are set so high, you will be throwing away what you believe to be a good battery.

Tom,

What's an "ICA"?

I have both of the Ovation batteries on Battery Minders, and I fly it several times per month... Hope that's good for something! Neither one is showing any obvious signs of weakness.

Tom, What's an "ICA"?

Instructions for Continued Airworthiness.

that is the directions that came with your batteries.

They show the charge rates and discharge rates for the tests required at each inspection.

It is now a requirement for the annual inspection a must read for A&P-IAs.

Last edited:
"Instructions for Continuing Airworthiness", Kent.

Instructions for Continued Airworthiness.

that is the directions that came with your batteries.

They show the charge rates and discharge rates for the tests required at each inspection.

It is now a requirement for the annual inspection a must read for A&P-IAs.

Aha, thanks!

Off to the books to check for that... And to check that it was done at the last annual in WA in June.

They're sometimes available on the battery manufacturer's website if they're not in your Uncle's paperwork, Kent. Just in case.

Aha, thanks!

Off to the books to check for that... And to check that it was done at the last annual in WA in June.

It has no special wording to say it was done.

It was to be completed under FAR 43-A (6)

(6) Batteries—for improper installation and improper charge.

the ICAs are the proper instructions on how to do it.

Last edited:
Back