DST begins March 11 in the US

woodstock

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iTravel
Hip Hip Hooray!

I knew it was March, but I thought it was late March - they really moved it back. In a little over 7 weeks it will be light until close to 8 PM yet again.

I may actually finish the PP-ASEL this spring after all! I have a whole extra 3 weeks of after-work flying time now.

In that case, be sure and get the night requirements in now.

10 night landings
3 hours
1 night XC dual
3 night landings solo at a tower

I have all but the last one - but they are all sprinkled over the past year for sure and possibly two.

yahooo! That means the clock in my truck stereo will soon be correct again! Stupid auto stereos that hide the change clock functions with some "press and hold 4 buttons, hold your breath, now use your toe to push the 'up' button" ...

yahooo! That means the clock in my truck stereo will soon be correct again! Stupid auto stereos that hide the change clock functions with some "press and hold 4 buttons, hold your breath, now use your toe to push the 'up' button" ...

you know, I wouldn't mind if they just made nightfall at 9 PM year round. just keep bumping the clocks up (by an hour, not half an hour or anything too wacky). You'd be brunching at dawn in the winter time, but hey, they do that on the Isle of Skye!

and during WWII, the UK and I believe France enjoyed double daylight savings time. (Not sure of all countries who did, I just know the UK did).

Hip Hip Hooray!

I knew it was March, but I thought it was late March - they really moved it back. In a little over 7 weeks it will be light until close to 8 PM yet again.

I may actually finish the PP-ASEL this spring after all! I have a whole extra 3 weeks of after-work flying time now.

Cool! That's my dream - to fly when getting home after work! It's gonna come early. :goofy:

I did't do 3 solo landings at a towered ap at night.

You don't have to.
Commercial certificate (ASEL) requires 10 solo night takeoffs and landings at a towered field. Private requires nothing in the way of night solo. Most instructors won't even sign students off for night solo privs.

You don't have to.
Commercial certificate (ASEL) requires 10 solo night takeoffs and landings at a towered field. Private requires nothing in the way of night solo. Most instructors won't even sign students off for night solo privs.

Yeah I know. Its just that Mark said it...not me. He just got it mixed up with Comm. thats all.

Guess too many of my ancestors were farmers. I'd just as soon they leave it alone. If the sun is overhead it should be noon.

And Dave, I believe they did extend on both ends. Starting this year.

You should try living in Indiana, we just went to dst last year and you would have thought the Devil himself made the change. I love it, working 3rd shift I have time to do something after supper, people clomplaining that the kids have to wait in the dark for the schoolbus and then complaining their internal clock is messed up. Give me a break.
Joe

DST is sort of like YEAR2000. We've got a bunch of programming changes we have to get in. Some the vendors haven't even written.

I'd be happy if they didn't move it. More so, I wish we didn't have to keep screwing with the clocks at all. I could handle getting up in the dark all year long.

Question for those less lazy than I....

Does that idiotic congressional vote to extend DST apply in 2007. IIRC, they passed a law :)eek:) that stretches DST into November. I can't for the life of me remember if 1) it indeed passed and 2) it is effective this year. Methinks if DST starts in mid-March, then (ill)logic would say this is the year for the extended DST.

Screw real conservation methods. Lets extend DST and force feed Ethanol down everyone's throats and filler tubes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wish we would leave the damn clocks alone:yes: !!!!!:mad: :mad:

We loose and gain 6 min a day.

Am I the *only* one who, when looking at the thread title, thought that "DST" referred to "Douglas Skysleeper Transport" (the original name for the DC-3)?

You should try living in Indiana, we just went to dst last year and you would have thought the Devil himself made the change. I love it, working 3rd shift I have time to do something after supper, people clomplaining that the kids have to wait in the dark for the schoolbus and then complaining their internal clock is messed up. Give me a break.
Joe

Ya but some hoosiers call green bell peppers mangos. So I would not expect a lot from them. ;)

The one thing the change has made easier is my frequent flight to Fort Wayne to visit non-mango eating relatives. Now I always know they are an hour ahead.

and during WWII, the UK and I believe France enjoyed double daylight savings time. (Not sure of all countries who did, I just know the UK did).

Ummm... I'm pretty sure France was on Berlin time during WWII. Double daylight was a UK thing.

Regards,
Joe

Guess too many of my ancestors were farmers. I'd just as soon they leave it alone. If the sun is overhead it should be noon.

And Dave, I believe they did extend on both ends. Starting this year.

The farmers figured out a long time ago that if you get up earlier you have more daylight after supper. The only reason we change our clocks is it fools some folks into thinking they are getting up later than they actually are. Of course it does simplify getting all the businesses (except FAA part time control towers) to shift their operation one hour earlier in the summer. Personally, I'd rather see everyone just change their schedules to start sooner all year round (even though I'm not that fond of getting up early). With about 30 clocks around the house and hangar I hate DST.

The worst part..all those electronic clocks that set DST by themselves are going to be so screwed up now. They'll probably mess the time up on the standard April date and vice versa. You'll be setting them four times a year now.

The worst part..all those electronic clocks that set DST by themselves are going to be so screwed up now. They'll probably mess the time up on the standard April date and vice versa. You'll be setting them four times a year now.

time to go back to wind ups...

You should try living in Indiana, we just went to dst last year and you would have thought the Devil himself made the change.

IN is on DST now? Coulda fooled me. :dunno:

What did they do with the parts that were already on DST or Central?

Indiana is confusing.

Ok,
I live on the east side of Ind, we used to not change our clocks, so half the time we were on the same time as New York and half the time we were a hour behind. 8:00 am New York 7:00am Ind. Now we stay with New York year round except for a few counties over by Chicago wich stay on Chicago time. I like the new way. It stays light longer so you can do more in the evening, and I don't have to leave so early if I fly east to Detroit for a 7:00am pick up. I lived in Western Ind for a year and on Chicago time in the middle of winter it was dark at 4:30pm talk about depressing.:vomit:
Joe

What I don't like about it is neither Canada nor Mexico (unless I am mistaken) have changed their dates - so for almost four months per year cross-border ops will be very confusing. OTOH Mexico is always changing their time zones and rules anyway.

hey, Brazil and I believe Argentina are slightly off as well - and since they are in the southern hemi, for a while they are 1 hour ahead, then 2, then 3...

Wierdest time change is when you go to Dehli India. They are 11.5 hours ahead of US Central time. There are a few places that also are shift by x:hrs and 45 minutes.

Wierdest time change is when you go to Dehli India. They are 11.5 hours ahead of US Central time. There are a few places that also are shift by x:hrs and 45 minutes.
Why??? There can't possibly be any benefit to this.

Back