DSM4 or DSM5

Joecnnd

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
joecnnd
I've had a dui in the past, in 2015. I haven't used since then, would do any of the samples to show. Blood, hair, nail samples, not sure what's the best one. I have another issue on top of this.
I was feeling very sluggish, couldn't finish tasks because I was always tired and my attention was pretty bad at work. I went to a nurse practitioner and received adderall for adhd. I did this for a few months and all it did was keep me up at night and didn't help me at work or motivate me in anyway to accomplish any goals. After that didn't work for awhile I just kind of suffered for a few years until finally trying to get back into working out a friend of mine mentioned how he was the same way and that it was Low T. I went and got checked out and sure enough my Testosterone levels were extremely low. I began replacement therapy and ever since then I have been noticing I could get things done easier. My organization skills have improved, not forgetting silly stuff like trash day. I actually just got a promotion at work beating out a lot of people to get the job and seemed to be doing great now. I was wondering about getting a misdiagnosis. My question is for a neuropsychological exam would I need to get the DSM4 or DSM5, perhaps both? any help on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

Neither matter. It’s whether you meet the FAA administrative criteria.

Most will advise you to seek a consultation with a AME, I recommend a lawyer (this being an administrative matter) and the AME he recommends.

Pops popcorn…I love it when lawyers try to get medical clearances…not.
I tell lawyers to call me after the final denial. All that does is cost the poor pilit several years……

Pops popcorn…I love it when lawyers try to get medical clearances…not.
I tell lawyers to call me after the final denial. All that does is cost the poor pilit several years……
My plan of attack was to get a medical evaluation. I've been told by lawyers to just go get a medical without getting my ducks in a row prior to going to the ame and know that that's just stupid. My question is going to a neuropsychologist, do I need a DSM4 or 5 both or just one of them? Also living in Indiana is there one you recommend bbchien? I called the ones in my area but it seems like they're closed now. I don't mind traveling to Illinois if you have someone you use.

You don’t need either, you need an FAA evaluation. FAA doesn’t confirm to either. They use their own definitions. And they don’t “trust” real doctors, only ones familiar with their weird way of doing things.

And ya can’t use just any old lawyer either. Or just any old FAA doc, or shrink either.

Give me a call if ya want.

But I guess you can use any old SGOTI.
I wasn't trying to use some guy on the internet. I was trying to talk to an AME, or someone that's gone through this. I want to prepare myself before going to see an AME for a medical.

I wasn't trying to use some guy on the internet. I was trying to talk to an AME, or someone that's gone through this. I want to prepare myself before going to see an AME for a medical.

This won't be a cheap or fast process. Trying to rush things risks wasting money or potentially making it take longer than necessary.

You're way too early to be worrying about the Neuropsych exam. It's expensive, time consuming, and it's a whole battery of tests. Trying to take it before you've been requested by the FAA could actually work against you and you might not even need to take it. If you need it they'll let you know and they'll provide specifics on what evaluations they want to see. With your ADHD/Adderall history you're also probably going to need specific drug testing when you take it to make sure you're not on performance enhancers. Without that testing the results will be worthless.

If you end up on an alcohol related special issuance the psychiatric/neuropsychological exams will be later in the process. The initial focus is to establish your case is isolated abuse, or established recovery if you're deemed dependent.

Here's the things you can be doing right now:

1. Gather up the arrest and court records for the DUI.
2. Gather up your medical records related to the Low T and the Adderall/ADHD.
3. Get a prescription records search demonstrating that you've discontinued the Adderall.
4. Locate a HIMS AME and start a relationship by asking them to review your records. Do not complete a medical exam unless the AME believes you have a high probability of success.
5. If the HIMS AME thinks you have a shot, do what they say. Be prepared to possible go on random alcohol monitoring via urine, blood, or electronic breath monitoring.

This won't be a cheap or fast process. Trying to rush things risks wasting money or potentially making it take longer than necessary.

You're way too early to be worrying about the Neuropsych exam. It's expensive, time consuming, and it's a whole battery of tests. Trying to take it before you've been requested by the FAA could actually work against you and you might not even need to take it. If you need it they'll let you know and they'll provide specifics on what evaluations they want to see. With your ADHD/Adderall history you're also probably going to need specific drug testing when you take it to make sure you're not on performance enhancers. Without that testing the results will be worthless.

If you end up on an alcohol related special issuance the psychiatric/neuropsychological exams will be later in the process. The initial focus is to establish your case is isolated abuse, or established recovery if you're deemed dependent.

3. Get a prescription records search demonstrating that you've discontinued the Adderall.
4. Locate a HIMS AME and start a relationship by asking them to review your records. Do not complete a medical exam unless the AME believes you have a high probability of success.
5. If the HIMS AME thinks you have a shot, do what they say. Be prepared to possible go on random alcohol monitoring via urine, blood, or electronic breath monitoring.

Thank you, this was really helpful. I'm going to get my stuff prepared from your list.

This list is published on the FAA website.
Not the HIMS psychiatriststs (that list is unpublished) but THIS is what you need for ADD.

However, to get to the HIMS psyhchiatrist for the DUI work you will need to kevel with the HIMS neuropscyhologist so he/se does the DUI battery too. to get to the HMS psychiatrist for the DUI, you need to go through a HIMS AME.

Attachments

• AeromedicalNeuropsychologistList12.02.21.pdf
    248.7 KB · Views: 244
Neither matter. It’s whether you meet the FAA administrative criteria.

Most will advise you to seek a consultation with a AME, I recommend a lawyer (this being an administrative matter) and the AME he recommends.

Tools can be very useful, as long as you use the right one for the job. When the only tool in your toolbox is a hammer you tend to get the same result. Free tip: the FAA is not a proud nail needing a little tippy-tap. ;) Choose your tools, and advice, wisely.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back