DSL question

murphey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
murphey
I've got 2 POTS lines (A and B). The DSL is only on B, in fact there's no phone on B, and it's only in my basement office. Line A is the entire house. Line A has the answering machine.

Here's the problem. I want to put DSL on line A and get rid of B. The DSL modem & the router/firewall (yes, I run 2 separate pieces of hardware) will both remain in the basement on Line A because that's where all the computer equipment is. But the answering machine will remain upstairs, on Line A but on a different jack. The router handles the computers and is also the wireless node.

Anyone see any problems, or got better suggestions?

Isn't this what most people do? I only have one active phone line and both the DSL and phone use the same line. The only thing different is that you are supposed to have DSL filters on the phones.

No, line B is POTS with voice. Don't need it anymore.

Line B could be converted to dry DSL and everything else left the same. It may be a nickel cheaper to run the DSL on line A along with pots. If it were me I'd just eliminate all pots and either leave a dry DSL line or just go wireless for data also. I'm totally wireless at home for telephone and data service.

Line B could be converted to dry DSL and everything else left the same. It may be a nickel cheaper to run the DSL on line A along with pots. If it were me I'd just eliminate all pots and either leave a dry DSL line or just go wireless for data also. I'm totally wireless at home for telephone and data service.

Using who? A cellular provider doesn't have the bandwidth or data caps to handle my home use.

Blanche, that can be done, I have run that before.
You can even separate the DSL from the phone line for the rest of the house. Right now, my DSL line is run to a line splitter (two jacks). The DSL is connected to one jack, a DSL filter to the other, and from the filter connects to the wiring for house (so no filters are needed in the jacks in the house).

Unclear why you want to do this, but it's not a problem really. I used to have two voice lines and when I was bouncing back and forth between DSL providers I'd bring the new one up on the opposite line when I switched.

Consider porting the tele nbr on Line-A to one of the VoIP providers.

I'm happy with: www.voipo.com

I pre-paid; so my cost is less than $6/month (incl taxes) for 5,000
minutes. It includes a terminal adapter that provides two [2] active
POTS ports/lines (unbridged). Also includes all the features that I
expected (VM, Simulring ... and a web option for faxes and SMS)

While Voipo does not directly support softphones; they do allow it.
Almost everywhere I have WiFi ... I have my home tele.

Isn't this what most people do? I only have one active phone line and both the DSL and phone use the same line. The only thing different is that you are supposed to have DSL filters on the phones.

Pretty much - got the filter on the current line. My worry/question is having different additional hardware on different physical jacks in the house.

Using who? A cellular provider doesn't have the bandwidth or data caps to handle my home use.
I've got the same situation. wi-fi just doesn't cut it with my real business needs. As much as I really want a T1 line, I can't justify the cost. So top-of-the-line DSL is the option.
That can be done, I have run that before.
You can even separate the DSL from the phone line for the rest of the house. Right now, my DSL line is run to a line splitter (two jacks). The DSL is connected to one jack, a DSL filter to the other, and from the filter connects to the wiring for house (so no filters are needed in the jacks in the house).
I really don't want to go munging around at the connector box. I've already had too many "dealings" with USWest/Qworst about the lines that were installed. Just the single phone call I had earlier this week with CenturyLink convinced me I want to minimize my involvement with them.

Consider porting the tele nbr on Line-A to one of the VoIP providers.

I'm happy with: www.voipo.com

I pre-paid; so my cost is less than $6/month (incl taxes) for 5,000
minutes. It includes a terminal adapter that provides two [2] active
POTS ports/lines (unbridged). Also includes all the features that I
expected (VM, Simulring ... and a web option for faxes and SMS)

While Voipo does not directly support softphones; they do allow it.
Almost everywhere I have WiFi ... I have my home tele.

Sorry, but I'm old school. Don't like cable (technical reasons), don't like voip. POTS is guaranteed to work even when the power goes out. The only thing that can bring down POTS is destruction of the local switch. We get enough power failures in Colorado (Tstorms in the summer, for example) that I don't trust anything electronic. And it's why I have 3 UPS in the office for all the equipment.

I use Clear which is contracted space on Sprint. It's as fast as DSL in my area with a tower five blocks from the house. My home use is pretty simple - mostly email, some web stuff, and work.

The problem I had with DSL is that Qwest couldn't keep the line up when it rained and couldn't figure out how to fix the problem. Is it really that difficult to say that a service call should be scheduled for the next time it rains? I thought it wasn't that difficult and since they couldn't do it they got jettisoned.

The only thing that can bring down POTS is destruction of the local switch.
I think I had that recently. After I called Century Link it took them about 3 days to come and fix it. The problem was in a box about a mile away at the entrance to the subdivision. Whatever the problem was affected the phone but not the DSL, which was confusing to me.

4G LTE from Verizon or other carriers with a decent signal should give you better speed than DSL

Under ideal conditions you can get around 15M (from industry tests). Of course this precludes being places where you really need it like camping at OSH when you're lucky if you can even make a voice call.

I get 6Mbps down on my DSL guaranteed. Of course, the lowest tier of FIOS is 20/5 but I can only get that at my Virginia house.

Note, that if you attempt to use your ATT LTE data plan like a hardline, you're going to end up being throttled to oblivion once your data usage goes up. Verizon is currently not penalizing the unlimited customers for using unlimited bandwidth.

Back