Dry rate rental refueling

odie451

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
odie451
Whether renting thru a part 61 flight school or a flying club, does a pilot have to refuel the aircraft at the home airport.

Usually they don’t care where you get the fuel, as long as it is where it should be when you park the plane.

Your question is a bit odd. Most flight schools have wet rental and have a fuel reimbursement policy. Generally they state the reimbursement price they will credit. You can pay more, but eat the difference. If you pay less per gallon, they credit you the per gallon price you paid and you see no benefit.

On a dry rental, you are also permitted to buy fuel where you wish and what you pay makes no difference to the flight school.

Whether renting thru a part 61 flight school or a flying club, does a pilot have to refuel the aircraft at the home airport.

That will vary by flight school and club. They all have different rules.

If it's a dry rate why would they care where you buy gas? For a wet rate, in my experience you are free to buy gas where ever you want, the caveat being that they'll reimburse you from the school or club but only up to a certain cap, IE, $5.50 per gallon for example

It depends on each school and club though, you'd have to talk to the people you specifically want to rent from. Where I fly people don't generally refuel after landing for the whole W&B thing. If a guy shows up to an airport with his 3 friends and a few bags to find the airplane has been topped off by the previous renter that will ruin his day.. or cause all his friends to suddenly lose 20 lbs each

May depend how far away you are, if the expectation is that you leave the aircraft full for the next user.

I rent wet, there are two bases now, the original has very expensive fuel, so if I'm able, I return the airplane fueled, which is near or just above tabs. I don't go out of my way to do this, but if I'm near gas and it won't cost me hobbs time, I'll do it. The second location, which I also use, has cheap gas. So I won't gas it up unless I need to, the fuel there is cheaper than most other places.

I figure the planes I rent are on leaseback, so the owners pay for fuel. If I save them money, they make more on airplane and hopefully are able to keep rent increases down.

Last edited:

No law against it other than if you are student and you go to an airport to do it that doesn’t meet requirements for where you may or may not solo to.

Some use the prop position (horizontal/vertical) to signal whether the plane needs fuel.

I rent wet, there are two bases now, the original has very expensive fuel, so if I'm able, I return the airplane fueled, which is near or just above tabs. I don't go out of my way to do this, but if I'm near gas and it won't cost me hobbs time, I'll do it. The second location, which I also use, has cheap gas. So I won't gas it up unless I need to, because the obviously, the fuel there is cheaper than most other places.

I figure the planes I rent are on leaseback, so the owners pay for fuel. If I save them money, they make more on airplane and hopefully are able to keep rent increases down.
A noble and pragmatic approach. The ones I fly are also on lease back or I have a direct lease arrangement

It makes sense to be gentle on the brakes and fly them as if I owned them because in a roundabout way it does impact my costs

Some use the prop position (horizontal/vertical) to signal whether the plane needs fuel.

That might be the dumbest way to notify someone wants fuel. When I had a 2 blade, I put it horizontal, so the birds didn't **** all over the blade and have it drip onto the spinner. I made it known I wanted fuel by telling the line or counter person at the FBO.

Now with a 3 blade....

Back