Dry ice explosion causes scare at LAX

No Joy

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
No Joy
Dry ice explosion causes scare at Los Angeles Airport
http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/national_world&id=9286035

Eimiller said the bathroom was in a restricted area of the terminal that was not accessible to the public.
I think this should be investigated as terrorism. Not that this was any threat to aircraft, the thought that this person may have access to aircraft is a concern. This was meant to terrorize people. Additionally it may have been meant to taunt authorities. Perhaps a disgruntled employee?

Was security breached? Or perhaps an employee that shouldn't have been hired? Employee didn't have a proper background check? Employee with mental health issues?

Was security breached? Or perhaps an employee that shouldn't have been hired? Employee didn't have a proper background check? Employee with mental health issues?

Background checks for SIDA badges are pretty much limited to gross criminal checks (and certain transportation related regulatory stuff). It's not even as in depth as a low level security clearance. Certainly they neither check nor ask about mental issues.

Funny (or not funny depending on your level of interest), this was about an "8" on the local media scale, and a "2 or 3" on the employee scale.

Yep, I have one of those nifty SIDA cred's hanging around my neck :eek:

Better check where that 9 year old is at.

Dry ice explosion causes scare at Los Angeles Airport
http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/national_world&id=9286035

I think this should be investigated as terrorism. Not that this was any threat to aircraft, the thought that this person may have access to aircraft is a concern. This was meant to terrorize people. Additionally it may have been meant to taunt authorities. Perhaps a disgruntled employee?

More likely someone got some dry-ice at the local welding gas supply shop, or the repair area on the airport and was having a little "fun". Pop-top vials also make fun rockets with dry-ice or LN2

As far as my "for public consumption" opinion - if this was intended to "terrorize people", it would have had a lot better effect in one of the Public restrooms (we have one or two of those in T2)

Six arriving and two departing flights delayed 28 minutes, one flight moved to another terminal

More likely someone got some dry-ice at the local welding gas supply shop, or the repair area on the airport and was having a little "fun". Pop-top vials also make fun rockets with dry-ice or LN2

You can get dry ice at the grocery store around here. Harris Teeter has a locker up front you get a hunk and pay for it by the pound.

Bottle of dry ice explodes at Los Angeles International airport for 2nd day in a row
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162...s-international-airport-for-2nd-day-in-a-row/

LAX dry ice bombs: 4 devices left in restricted areas, police say
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-lax-dry-ice-bombs-20131014,0,1147428.story

Better check where that 9 year old is at.
:rofl:

More likely someone got some dry-ice at the local welding gas supply shop
That's a new one by me. I wasn't aware that welding shops sold dry ice.

Maybe control freak politicians will try to make pop bottles and dry ice controlled substances. :rolleyes2:

That's a new one by me. I wasn't aware that welding shops sold dry ice.

Maybe control freak politicians will try to make pop bottles and dry ice controlled substances. :rolleyes2:
Some supermarkets sell it too, as mentioned earlier. I can get it at the local Hyvee (Nebraska supermarket chain). Good for a long drive- everything is still cold (very cold) and remains so another day withour having to drain water. I also make it with a CO2 tank- essentially vent the tank and capture the "snow" in a cloth filter.

Police say disgruntled employee behind LA airport dry ice explosions
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/10/15/police-investigating-another-dry-ice-explosion-at-lax/

Allegedly one or more of the dry ice bombs was on the tarmac. LE suspects a disgruntled employee(s) over a labor dispute.

I think it is sociopathic to set up dry ice bombs in a place that there is an unreasonable risk that it could cause injury or property damage. I think it is a low-level form of terrorism. I wonder if the perpetrator(s) are part of a union.

Not that dry ice bombs are much of a threat, though the fact that one or more mentally ill violent people have access to such secure areas is a concern.

Some supermarkets sell it too, as mentioned earlier. I can get it at the local Hyvee (Nebraska supermarket chain). Good for a long drive- everything is still cold (very cold) and remains so another day withour having to drain water. I also make it with a CO2 tank- essentially vent the tank and capture the "snow" in a cloth filter.
I've known dry ice to be at trucking supply and refrigeration firms but not at welding supply. I've used a burlap bag attachment for CO2 tanks, but that only produces small amounts.

I've used dry ice when refrigerators have broken down and for camping.

I wanted to get some for a Halloween hanted house a many years ago, but at the time I couldn't find a place I could purchase it as a private individual. Like you say, now sometimes I see it at some grocery stores. I wanted to have dry ice fog going down steps.

I think it is sociopathic... I think it is a low-level form of terrorism....

mentally ill violent people...

I couldn't find a place I could purchase it as a private individual.

Lest we get confused by all the new-age big government propaganda: you have always been able to get dry ice as an individual.

As for "terrorism" or being "mentally ill and violent": Somebody got po'd at their boss and dropped a cherry bomb down the toilet. Nobody without nefarious intentions has ever done that. :rolleyes:

Lest we get confused by all the new-age big government propaganda: you have always been able to get dry ice as an individual.
Not true. They were resale companies. No sales occurred without a tax exempt number.

See ya Dicarlo! Ya freak!

Are you kidding me.... This guy will be on talk shows before the end of the year, write a book and have a " made for TV movie" about the episode... he will make millions......

Only in America..:mad2::mad:

I hope they make an example of this idiot. He could have seriously injured somebody with that stupid stunt.

Throw the book at him. 20+ years in prison, no parole.

Not true. They were resale companies. No sales occurred without a tax exempt number.
Where was this? I could always walk in and buy the stuff for myself from the local Matheson dealer.

I hope they make an example of this idiot. He could have seriously injured somebody with that stupid stunt.

For pop bottles? We are such a bunch of sissies. What they should do is instead of charging him, hold a press conference and mock him for trying to cause trouble by popping soda bottles. Throwing someone in jail for little things is not a sign of strength it is a sign of cowardice, fear, and weakness.

The government will probably ban dry ice sales unless you have a current dry ice purchaser registration card.....sigh.

Seriously? How is a bursting soda bottle going to seriously injure someone. Damn, we used to make groups of 72" oxy acetylene balloon and light the fuses. Used to be you could have fun blowing stuff up in this country.

me thinks you forgot the sarcastic smilie.

The guy is a douche. He caused a ruckus in one environment where a ruckus is a very bad thing. Not sure what his punishment should be, but I'd say a little while behind bars might serve as a good "time out" to remind him and others that people take airport security (and therefore explosive pranks) very seriously these days.

Damn, we used to make groups of 72" oxy acetylene balloon and light the fuses. Used to be you could have fun blowing stuff up in this country.

I did that too. One night the balloon we were filling inside a garage needed a little flumphing to expand better, one of my buddies did so and it exploded (static electricity, I guess).

Jeezus, my ears rang for days. :D :D

I have a hard time calling a 2 liter soda bottle that bursts from expansion of a benign gas a bomb...

The guy is a douche. He caused a ruckus in one environment where a ruckus is a very bad thing. Not sure what his punishment should be, but I'd say a little while behind bars might serve as a good "time out" to remind him and others that people take airport security (and therefore explosive pranks) very seriously these days.

So you support the serious mission of the TSA. TSA was making public announcements at an airport threatening to have people arrested for making fun of security, with the seriousness of it all I guess that makes sense. People are so dumb no one is even asking how he got into the secure area a bunch of times post firing. Hmmmm. Quick hang him in the town square before someone asks that question.

So you support the serious mission of the TSA. TSA was making public announcements at an airport threatening to have people arrested for making fun of security, with the seriousness of it all I guess that makes sense. People are so dumb no one is even asking how he got into the secure area a bunch of times post firing. Hmmmm. Quick hang him in the town square before someone asks that question.

As dictator for life, I'd unfund and decommission the TSA so fast they wouldn't even get paid for the last few people they groped. But that isn't the issue here. You don't yell "Fire" in a crowded theater and you don't explode C02 bombs in public places.

Where was this? I could always walk in and buy the stuff for myself from the local Matheson dealer.
I think it was a trucking supply or refrigeration firm. There may have been other places that would have sold it, but I didn't have the time to further investigate. I had a tax exempt number, though I could not use it for the dry ice, because the intent was not for resale.
For pop bottles? We are such a bunch of sissies. What they should do is instead of charging him, hold a press conference and mock him for trying to cause trouble by popping soda bottles. Throwing someone in jail for little things is not a sign of strength it is a sign of cowardice, fear, and weakness.
Seriously? How is a bursting soda bottle going to seriously injure someone. Damn, we used to make groups of 72" oxy acetylene balloon and light the fuses. Used to be you could have fun blowing stuff up in this country.
me thinks you forgot the sarcastic smilie.
Many of you don't seem to appreciate the dangers involved. It seems you are not familiar with physics or explosives. I think the typical 2 L pop bottle is rated for about 70 PSI working pressure, and about 90 PSI burst pressure.

That means the typical 2 L bottle is safe at about 70 PSI, but likely to burst at about 90 PSI, but possibly can hold higher pressure.

I saw the aftermath of a guy that foolishly used a 2 L bottle for an air tank reservoir for retractable landing gear in a giant scale model airplane. He had the fuselage in his vehicle as he was filling up the 2 L bottle. The bottle exploded and totaled the fuselage of the model and did moderate damage to the vehicle. If he had been near the model when it exploded, he could have been injured or killed.

2 L dry ice bombs can injure, maim and possibly kill. They often explode mailboxes, so what do you think it possibly could do to a delicate body?

A graphic image of the type of injury that can be caused by a 2 L dry ice bomb.
http://www.dryiceinfo.com/Pictures/dry ice bomb injury.jpg

http://www.dryiceinfo.com/fog.htm

20 years might be a little much, but considering the location and circumstances, 20 years might not be excessive.

I feel that pop bottle bombs that are set off in a way that there is intent to do harm or there is reckless indifference; that it should be considered a serious crime.

I did that too. One night the balloon we were filling inside a garage needed a little flumphing to expand better, one of my buddies did so and it exploded (static electricity, I guess).

Jeezus, my ears rang for days.
Your ears rang for days from a balloon? Sounds fishy. I've "exploded" balloons with methane, hydrogen, acetylene, and they've been more of whoosh then a bang.

Last edited:
I think it was a trucking supply or refrigeration firm. There may have been other places that would have sold it, but I didn't have the time to further investigate. I had a tax exempt number, though I could not use it for the dry ice, because the intent was not for resale.

Many of you don't seem to appreciate the dangers involved. It seems you are not familiar with physics or explosives. I think the typical 2 L pop bottle is rated for about 70 PSI working pressure, and about 90 PSI burst pressure.

That means the typical 2 L bottle is safe at about 70 PSI, but likely to burst at about 90 PSI, but possibly can hold higher pressure.

I saw the aftermath of a guy that foolishly used a 2 L bottle for an air tank reservoir for retractable landing gear in a giant scale model airplane. He had the fuselage in his vehicle as he was filling up the 2 L bottle. The bottle exploded and totaled the fuselage of the model and did moderate damage to the vehicle. If he had been near the model when it exploded, he could have been injured or killed.

2 L dry ice bombs can injure, maim and possibly kill. They often explode mailboxes, so what do you think it possibly could do to a delicate body?

20 years might be a little much, but considering the location and circumstances, 20 years might not be excessive.

I feel that pop bottle bombs that are set off in a way that there is intent to do harm or there is reckless indifference; that it should be considered a serious crime.

Your ears rang for days from a balloon? Sounds fishy. I've "exploded" balloons with methane, hydrogen, acetylene, and they've been more of whoosh then a bang.

We used an oxy acetylene torch rig. Lit the torch and adjusted it for a cutting flame and shut off the bottles. Put the balloon mouth over the torch tip and opened the bottles, filling the balloon.

When these balloons were lit off by placing them on newspaper and lighting it, they made a hella big boom. The one that exploded in the garage did likewise. I'm not exaggerating...

It was a 60" diameter balloon.

Last edited:
We used an oxy acetylene torch rig. Lit the torch and adjusted it for a cutting flame and shut off the bottles. Put the balloon mouth over the torch tip and opened the bottles, filling the balloon.

When these balloons were lit off by placing them on newspaper and lighting it, they made a hella big boom. The one that exploded in the garage did likewise. I'm not exaggerating...

It was a 60" diameter balloon.
If the balloons were filled with pure acetylene; it should have burned slowly like the Hindenburg. More of whoosh or slowburn.

If the balloons contained acetylene and oxygen; then that could have burned fast enough to produce a bang/explosion.

Many of you don't seem to appreciate the dangers involved. It seems you are not familiar with physics or explosives. I think the typical 2 L pop bottle

Uh. Please don't try to act like an expert when you are not.

These were plastic 20oz bottles placed in toilets and in the open.

Unless somebody was physically holding it in a fist when one went off, the worst that would happen is a loud Bang, a fountain effect, and bits of plastic flying at someone hard enough to cut them and *maybe* knock them down.

Source: Experience, safety criteria

Uh. Please don't try to act like an expert when you are not.

These were plastic 20oz bottles placed in toilets and in the open.

Unless somebody was physically holding it in a fist when one went off, the worst that would happen is a loud Bang, a fountain effect, and bits of plastic flying at someone hard enough to cut them and *maybe* knock them down.

Source: Experience, safety criteria
Quite the contrary. Please don't try to pretend you're an expert. You're clearly without a clue.

A lot of people have been injured by picking up these devices then having them explode. These things can be very dangerous, it's dangerous for idiots and liars to say otherwise.

Apparently you ignored the facts and sources that proves you are wrong. You can't learn unless you listen.

A smaller bottle may have less punch, but they should still be made to the same design specifications. Generally smaller bottles have a tendency to develop higher pressures. Even a small 20 once bottle could cause significant injury

According to some of the reports one or more 2 L bottles were involved.
The bottle was reportedly a 2-liter plastic soda bottle.
http://www.freeinews.com/united-states/lax-dry-ice-explosion-in-terminal-2-at-los-angeles-airport

Please don't be ignorant morons that pretends pop bottle bombs aren't dangerous.

Franklin man injured after bottle bomb explodes
http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2011/jun/21/franklin-man-injured-after-bottle-bomb-explodes/

Bottle bomb incident injures Kitchener boy
http://www.therecord.com/news-story/2601666-bottle-bomb-incident-injures-kitchener-boy/

Police: Mail carrier injured by bottle bomb, similar devices found
http://articles.mcall.com/2011-08-0..._1_bottle-bomb-chemical-reaction-mail-carrier

Both agencies have investigated several incidents of "bottle bomb" pranks in the last two years with one incident resulting in serious injuries to the victim.
http://www.abc2news.com/dpp/news/cr...ottle-bomb-thrown-at-6-year-old-pasadena-girl

Naperville bottle bombs hurt 2 kids, hit mailboxes
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2003-09-23/news/0309230112_1_mailbox-bombs-homemade-bombs-bottle

Last edited:
The most dangerous thing about soda pop poppers is emptying the bottle by drinking the soda.:D

If the balloons were filled with pure acetylene; it should have burned slowly like the Hindenburg. More of whoosh or slowburn.

If the balloons contained acetylene and oxygen; then that could have burned fast enough to produce a bang/explosion.

Yep, set the torch for a nice lean cutting flame, turn off the gas at the bottles to let the tip cool, turn back on and fill the balloons. When they blow they have a great 'crack' to them.:yes:

Last edited:
Back