Dry deodorant as talc

zaitcev

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Pete Zaitcev
Does anyone know if any of fragrances, magnesium chloride, buthyl phenyl methylpropional, benzyl alcohol could be harmful to tires and tubes? I think my greatest concern is alcoholes, although in this case they are solid (not sure how that can be, perhaps it's like fuel for alcohol stoves).

I already asked elsewhere, but it's complete inference and "better be safe than sorry" type of handwaving. Nobody tried it on a bicycle?

attachment.php

Attachments

• talc_deso_2.jpg
    talc_deso_2.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 77
I think my greatest concern is alcoholes, although in this case they are solid (not sure how that can be, perhaps it's like fuel for alcohol stoves).
Many organic molecules with an -OH tagged on to a carbon are called an alcohol - that covers a wide range of things beyond just the drinking kind.

We use baby powder. Unscented if we can get it. Don't like myself smelling all flowery and pretty after changing a tire...

For those of us over 55 or so, baby powder, when our mothers used it on our little bums, was made largely of chrysotile asbestos.

I know, thread drift.

Dan

Many organic molecules with an -OH tagged on to a carbon are called an alcohol - that covers a wide range of things beyond just the drinking kind.
That's what I figured, to. So the benzyl alcohol must be C6H12 group with one H lopped off and OH attached in its place, or something to that effect. The question is, is it going to draw Sylpur out of rubber or do anything else damaging? I would imagine the bigger the molecule is, the harder it is for it to wedge between other molecules, but...

We use baby powder. Unscented if we can get it. Don't like myself smelling all flowery and pretty after changing a tire...

For those of us over 55 or so, baby powder, when our mothers used it on our little bums, was made largely of chrysotile asbestos.

I know, thread drift.

Dan

No thread drift; it is pretty much OT. But the baby powder today is largely cornstarch. Get that sucker wet inside a tire and stand by for some real interesting interactions between tire and tube.

Jim

Back