Drugs in the last 2yrs

1. Stop posting with your name
2. Find an aviation lawyer
3. Wait for Dr Bruce.

something along the lines of " i had a friend who went to a dave mathew band concert and accidentally second hand smoked it"

yeah right.:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Oh you bad person! You should buy a hair shirt and wander the earth begging forgiveness. Get serious!
The positive screen is in his medical record. That's going to take some explanation. Better to be up-front than to have the FAA discover it on their own.

I can see how that could happen. That's sort of a messed up situation.

1. Stop posting with your name
2. Find an aviation lawyer
3. Wait for Dr Bruce.

I'm beginning to think this should be an automatic response for those far, too many anonymous posters with questions on controlled drug/arrest/dui/whatever....

I'm also convinced that anyone who posts controlled drug/arrest/dui/whatever questions under their own name should be disqualified for a flight cert for no other reason than lack of common sense because they posted in a world-wide, public environment where postings are available forever!

*sigh*

Anyone have a statistics, sociology or psych grad student who needs a project? Take avocation-specific websites such as this one, analyze the frequency and other attributes relating to medical/health issues. How often is the same/similar question asked, how long does the thread last, and so on....Definitely be more interesting than "Hi, I'm from ERAU doing my senior project and will you answer these insipid, not-original, no-content questions so I can graduate?"

Sorry - Denver area is in its first really miserable, freezing cold storm. The dog put his nose out the doggie door just long enough to blame me for not living in Phoenix.

Last edited:
Not my real name, will they revoke my current medical?
Only if you lied about this use on a previous application or admit to having flown while that stuff was still in your system (see 14 CFR 61.53). Your last application was when -- before or after the July event?

Also, I've got a feeling the FAA may want a bunch of documentation on your broken back to show you haven't lost any strength or range of motion in your limbs. I'd like to hear Bruce's comment on that.

I hope you're not the guy in Louisville, CO.

This board is indexed by google quite well. Further note two things about this site:

1. Things do not actually get deleted unless the admin takes great steps to do so. A user or even moderator deleted post just gets hidden from view. It and all the edits ever made to it are retained.

2. This site runs an back version of the forum software. (two major releases old). Even my other site that's running the latest production version just had to be patched for security issues within the past month.

There is no guarantee of privacy here either in active posts, deleted or edited posts, or private messages. Do NOT use the site for stuff that you need to remain private.

I would not go to ANY AME for a flight physical until this is completely documented- SAP which is negative, negative random test (usually hair), DMV search, letters from employer(s), etc....a deferral means you cannot operate even a the 3rd class level until the issue is resolved.

You hang out in the wrong crowd. Choose aviation or choose these friends, but not both. Uncle, will choose for you, if you don't.

And btw, if your medical has been differed you can still fly.

The third possible outcome is an intermediate decision termed a DEFERRAL. In this situation, the AME notes a medical condition that is questionable with regards to eligibility for medical certification. The pilot takes the physical examination, but rather than issue the medical certificate or give the pilot a denial letter, the AME defers the application and medical certificate to the Regional Flight Surgeon or the Aeromedical Certification Division in Oklahoma City. With the AME's permission, the pilot may continue to fly on their current medical certificate until it lapses.

Good news, tox screen came up negative for marijuana on the hospital report. I can now legally say I've never used marijuana

You actually have to be a fairly regular toker to bust.

Marijuana can last in your system something like two months. I wouldn't consider a one time user to be a regular, but then again I didn't write drug testing protocols or their sensitivity.

Marijuana can last in your system something like two months. I wouldn't consider a one time user to be a regular, but then again I didn't write drug testing protocols or their sensitivity.

That's just it, the sensitivities are high enough that even an infrequent user won't bust.

That's just it, the sensitivities are high enough that even an infrequent user won't bust.

Even in DOT tests? I am not well versed in my drug knowledge, but I was pretty sure pot hung around your system the longest. I would also imagine a urine test would spot a one time user, but a hair test would not.

Even in DOT tests? I am not well versed in my drug knowledge, but I was pretty sure pot hung around your system the longest. I would also imagine a urine test would spot a one time user, but a hair test would not.

It does because it's fat soluble, so it disperses the slowest, about 6 weeks. All the water solubles like cocaine, methamphetamine, opiates... They are all clear in 3-5 days. Thing is, if you only smoke occasionally, your tolerance is reduced and the amount it takes to get a buzz is not enough to trigger the threshold, and if you have a toke a couple weeks later, you have already lost enough that your fresh up take still won't bust the threshold.

You could smoke on a Friday and be clear on a Monday, if you are aninfrequent user. But if you are a daily user or a couple times a week, it can last for a little while. I would also think that the potency of the THC in the weed might also affect the test, also.

You could smoke on a Friday and be clear on a Monday, if you are aninfrequent user. But if you are a daily user or a couple times a week, it can last for a little while. I would also think that the potency of the THC in the weed might also affect the test, also.

As will your body fat %, metabolism, exercise and how much water you drink.

All true, but for the record the only way to ensure a negative result is 0 usage. Maybe when I'm an old codger and can't fly anymore I'll try the stuff.

So if you fail a drug test (at a hospital or pre-employment, not on the job) you don't automatically lose your medical? That seems.... odd.
As regards the introduction of illegal substances into your body, you only lose your medical certificate if you lie about it, or you fly while under the influence.

Good news, tox screen came up negative for marijuana on the hospital report. I can now legally say I've never used marijuana
I'm not sure you really can say that now that you have admitted otherwise publicly. Note that the FAA only says use, not intentional use. The FAA might not be able to prove it by medical evidence, but you should understand the admissibility in legal proceedings of a "statement against interest". As said earlier, probably best if you hadn't put this under your name in a public forum.

It depends on the meaning of the word "used".

From my perspective, the OP was poisoned, and that doesn't meet my definition of "use".

It depends on the meaning of the word "used".

From my perspective, the OP was poisoned, and that doesn't meet my definition of "use".

+1

As the events were described here, the OP did not "use" anything.

+1

As the events were described here, the OP did not "use" anything.
Okay. so is the maker of the brownies going to certify (notarized) that such a respondent had no knowledge....this is getting ridiculous, gentlemen......that he made the brownies.....that he is guilty of assault.....YHGBSM.

Okay. so is the maker of the brownies going to certify (notarized) that such a respondent had no knowledge....this is getting ridiculous, gentlemen......that he made the brownies.....that he is guilty of assault.....YHGBSM.

yeah, I kinda processed through that analysis the first 2 seconds of reading the post . . . chuckled to myself . . . and then moved on. Can't believe anyone would actually voice it however!

All true, but for the record the only way to ensure a negative result is 0 usage. Maybe when I'm an old codger and can't fly anymore I'll try the stuff.

Can't even do that anymore . . . second hand smoke, brownies, etc.

But there are consequences when applying for a medical, no?
"Consequences" has a rather negative connotation, like legal action such as the suspension or revocation of a certificate. More like "extra hoops through which to jump", but that's a medical issue, not a legal one (unless they catch you lying, in which case there are serious legal consequences).

Can't even do that anymore . . . second hand smoke, brownies, etc.

Right, so if I went to a Roger Waters concert and the group next to me was smoking pot through the whole thing, I have to answer yes in 18.n?

Right, so if I went to a Roger Waters concert and the group next to me was smoking pot through the whole thing, I have to answer yes in 18.n?
The OP know for certain that he ingested the stuff. Your scenario only suggests the possibility. I see that as a significant difference, which is why I've never answered "yes" on that even though I attended college 1968-72 (you could smell that stuff pretty much anywhere in Ann Arbor in those days) and once went to a Grateful Dead concert. YMMV.

Last edited:
The OP know for certain that he ingested the stuff. Your scenario only suggests the possibility. I see that as a significant difference, which is why I've never answered "yes" on that even though I attended college 1968-72 (you could smell that stuff pretty much anywhere in Ann Arbor in those days) and once went to a Grateful Dead concert. YMMV.

I could be wrong, but I think the intent of the question is to establish if there might be the possibility that there is a substance abuse problem. Or that there is a chance that you will fly under the influence. In any case, I think they care about you intentionally deciding to use the substance.
If the substance was introduced in your system without any intention on your part, then why would that be a problem? (unless there is some long term consequence). Actually by having access to it and still not being interested, it makes it even less likely that you'll have an abuse problem.

I'm not trying to give advice here, just thinking out loud and killing time on a slow Friday.

I can't even go to most concerts at Red Rocks ...just being downwind, I get ill.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back