Drones winning the war on terror...

and what happens when someone takes down our satellites and/or hack into them during WWIII?

Last edited:
What a bunch of hooey. I suppose now we no longer need human intel, boots on the ground.....gimme a break.

Remember, any news report you see was written by an English Major. No essential expertise required.

What about that "network centric" battle space?

Higher HQ buying into contractor dreams.

When the "digitization" fails, it's back to radios, pencils, and paper maps.

If radios don't work, send a runner.

(FWIW -- I was assigned to the Mounted Warfighting Battlespace Lab at Ft Knox in 1992 to work on "Battlespace integration")

What a bunch of hooey. I suppose now we no longer need human intel, boots on the ground.....gimme a break.

The CIA said they didn't need those pesky prima-donna intelligence agents once they had satellites. Then came they day the satellite saw airliners flying into the World Trade Center.

Once they train the drone to land and walk down the street and knock on a door or listen when the kid can tell them something as happens with soldiers now....

The CIA said they didn't need those pesky prima-donna intelligence agents once they had satellites. Then came they day the satellite saw airliners flying into the World Trade Center.

Once they train the drone to land and walk down the street and knock on a door or listen when the kid can tell them something as happens with soldiers now....
I think we forgot how important the candy bar is to winning the end-game.

Higher HQ buying into contractor dreams.

When the "digitization" fails, it's back to radios, pencils, and paper maps.

If radios don't work, send a runner.

(FWIW -- I was assigned to the Mounted Warfighting Battlespace Lab at Ft Knox in 1992 to work on "Battlespace integration")
So the CGI stuff seen on the Military & Discovery channel are future vaporware? Are you implying future soliders won't have a helmet mounted HUD with maps, orders, status updates and UAV video feeds overlayed over the outside world?

One thing that bugs me about UAVs & "digitization". Aren't we basically putting a homing beacon on everyone if everyone & everything has a computer maintaining a data link? I mean can't any decently equipped force modify a DF to the proper freq or even tweek anti-radar missiles?

So the CGI stuff seen on the Military & Discovery channel are future vaporware? Are you implying future soliders won't have a helmet mounted HUD with maps, orders, status updates and UAV video feeds overlayed over the outside world?

One thing that bugs me about UAVs & "digitization". Aren't we basically putting a homing beacon on everyone if everyone & everything has a computer maintaining a data link? I mean can't any decently equipped force modify a DF to the proper freq or even tweek anti-radar missiles?

The additional data available to soldiers will be welcome -- for a while.

There is a very strong distrust of micro-technology among those that have to carry and use it in the field. It tends to be fragile and crap out at just the wrong time.

Eventually technology can be accepted -- but only after a fairly long proving time (sorta like officers).

But every training scenario includes "degraded mode" ops -- which means you need to shoot, move, and communicate using the most basic tools.

But every training scenario includes "degraded mode" ops -- which means you need to shoot, move, and communicate using the most basic tools.

As it should.

And pilots should take note - they should be prepared to navigate with a map, compass, clock and Steam ASI for when everything else quits.

And pilots should take note - they should be prepared to navigate with a map, compass, clock and Steam ASI for when everything else quits.

Heh! It would be a little embarrassing to say, "I'm just a little bit past where I was when my GPS died", huh? :D

Can you even get a DF steer from Flight Service anymore?

Too bad they don't put town names on the roofs anymore, now you gotta go circle the water tower...and hope it's not some water district or sumthin' painted on the side. "RWD #3" isn't real helpful...

Trapper John

Heh! It would be a little embarrassing to say, "I'm just a little bit past where I was when my GPS died", huh? :D

Can you even get a DF steer from Flight Service anymore?

Too bad they don't put town names on the roofs anymore, now you gotta go circle the water tower...and hope it's not some water district or sumthin' painted on the side. "RWD #3" isn't real helpful...

Trapper John

Even when flying by GPS, I would shoot cross radials off VOR's and ID them or correlate geographic features on the sectionals.. so that I had a general clue were I was.

Back