Drones... White house.... Oh my!

That ought to be good for twenty-seven new laws, fourteen hundred pages of regulations, a brand new shiny, government agency, and an all out War On Drones, for everyone but the government, of course.

What is with calling everything drones now days.
Is a toy I can buy at Best Buy a drone?
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ama-white-house-device-josh-earnest/22338781/
635578803800046842-Crashed-drone.jpg

The FAA has determined that a 'drone' is an aircraft.

It is illegal to operate an aircraft in the FRZ without the usual consents, approvals, anal probing, etc.

What do they intend to do - make it double secret illegal to operate a drone? Insist on 'registering' all drone purchases inside a 250nm radius?

How do they stop the guy who wants to drop a couple of grenades on the White House sleeping quarters on that top floor?

It is illegal to operate an aircraft in the FRZ without the usual consents, approvals, anal probing, etc.

What do they intend to do - make it double secret illegal to operate a drone? Insist on 'registering' all drone purchases inside a 250nm radius?

How do they stop the guy who wants to drop a couple of grenades on the White House sleeping quarters on that top floor?

If I was the secret service, I'd find some really good electronics geeks to help me build a system to detect and jam drone radio signals and install that on the white house roof.

I'm sure they're going to come up with some goofy and annoying regulation in the next few years but realistically that's the only defense.

I thought I read something about a ultralight not being considered a "aircraft"

So a ultralight with a human isn't a aircraft, but a 3' RC airplane with a go pro is?

The number of people who would actually do such a thing is wildly exaggerated for all the reasons government agencies usually exaggerate such things. If there were that many people who really had the will and capacity to throw a grenade at the White House, it would have already happened.

Notice how many of the "security breaches" at the White House happen when nobody is home? That seems really strange considering the President's Schedule is public. Taken at face value, it at least means that the folks taking pot shots around the White House aren't putting much thought into it. The President was in India last night. Again, what's the likelihood that someone or some group that presents a real threat to the President is going to bother to attack the White House when he's on the other side of the globe?

If I was the secret service, I'd find some really good electronics geeks to help me build a system to detect and jam drone radio signals and install that on the white house roof.

I'm sure they're going to come up with some goofy and annoying regulation in the next few years but realistically that's the only defense.

Oh come on. Take Uncle Joe's advice. Buy a shotgun. Pull!

Oh, good Lord. I heard about this on the way in. I'm of two minds about this; the first is my military mind. It says maybe USSS needs to readdress the vulnerabilities with a thorough risk analysis and then implement the correct controls. My civilian mind says WTF? R/C quad copters are a airspace users and should be regulated like airplanes? That's as stupid as thinking artillery is an airspace user and needs to be de conflicted. Of, wait. I probably mixed those two up, but according to army doctrine, arty is an airspace user.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back