Drones (UAVs)

N918KT

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
KT
At first, I was opposed to UAVs starting to become more popular in aviation because I just prefer every flying aircraft should be flown by an on-board pilot (because it's always been that way). But now, I find UAVs, particularly the commercial UAV quadcopters that online stores like Amazon uses to deliver products to their customer's house, very useful and cool.

What are your thoughts and opinions on drones? Do you want drones to be in our airspace or do you not prefer to have them in our airspace and why?

Also, do you need any kind of pilot certificate and medical to fly a UAV, especially quadcopter UAVs?

Most of the "drones" are really just R/C multicopters. I have no issue with someone flying an R/C machine following the traditional R/C guidelines. But no, I don't want autonomous machines with no ability to see and avoid in our airspace. The proponents of it seem to only know about high flying planes when they so readily assert they can stay out of the way. They don't realize that other flying things are down low too. Helicopters, paragliders, hang gliders, skydivers, hot air balloons, etc.

In my opinion, if it can't see and avoid, don't put it in airspace where that's expected.

... But now, I find UAVs, particularly the commercial UAV quadcopters that online stores like Amazon uses to deliver products to their customer's house, very useful and cool.
Also, do you need any kind of pilot certificate and medical to fly a UAV, especially quadcopter UAVs?

Amazon does NOT use UAV's to deliver. It was a publicity stunt. They are looking into it for the future they say, but the technology is not up to snuff.

I do actually mess around a little with robotic multicopters. Take a look at this site if you're interested, it's pretty cool stuff. However, a 4-5 lbs multicopter only has an endurance of 5-6 minutes right now, and that's with minimal load. That's certainly long enough for stupid people to get themselves (or others) injured and seriously hurt, and long enough to do the whole "careless and reckless" thing in criminal court (or liable in civil court), but we're still way far away from aircraft that can deliver goods. THAT will be the point at which these things really could accidentally kill people. That's why the FAA only regulates UAV's above a certain weight, 40 lbs or something?

Otherwise, the FAA only has guidelines that apply to Radio-controlled model aircraft. These are neither prohibited, nor protective, e.g. you can't be fined by the FAA, but complying with them may not prevent another agency from charging you with a civil or criminal violation. Those guidelines are pretty common sense:

Don't fly near airports or controlled airspace
Don't fly above 400 ft
Don't fly out of line-of-sight
Don't fly near people or buildings
etc.

For reference, with robotic or autonomous aircraft, I keep hands on the controls in LOS for safety. If I ever use remote cameras, I'll need a spotter to keep LOS while I'm looking at the monitor.

They're another fun and relatively inexpensive way to stay in touch with aviation. I just hope people don't keep doing stupid things that make will make it no longer fun...

Last edited:
I'm fine with them all as log as they follow the AMA rules for model aircraft.

If it doesn't have a pilot IMO it should follow AMA rules and not be anywhere near where real aircraft are.

If you build a UAV that's capable of visually spotting other aircraft and actively avoiding them, sure. Otherwise, destroy them all.

Back