DRONES UAV'S - Any chance they could spark more interest in general aviation?

JasonM

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
JM
I know my criticism has been pretty tough on the whole Drone thing, but after getting one of these things and messing around with it (DJI Phantom 3), I wonder if they might actually bring new life into general aviation. There is only so much that kids can do with these things, I would think they would get the desire to fly themselves somewhere or go higher and further(legally).

Does playing Modern Warfare III make you want to join the Army?

A lot of older pilots got their start with RC models and model rockets. Im sure there will be plenty of the current crop that'll get their start with UAS. I do think the cool factor of FPV will wear off for some and their toys will end up gathering dust.

Does playing Modern Warfare III make you want to join the Army?

Good question. I had to search on that. I don't play those games, but apparently those games have been targeted for recruitment efforts successfully for years.

I know my criticism has been pretty tough on the whole Drone thing, but after getting one of these things and messing around with it (DJI Phantom 3), I wonder if they might actually bring new life into general aviation. There is only so much that kids can do with these things, I would think they would get the desire to fly themselves somewhere or go higher and further(legally).

I made exactly this comment in the last "is GA dying?" thread, and I was scorned for the suggestion. But yes, they could, if we were to take them seriously and treat them as pilots. If I were a 12 year old with a drone, I would think it really cool if I could get a real pilot's license to fly one.

Good question. I had to search on that. I don't play those games, but apparently those games have been targeted for recruitment efforts successfully for years.

The Army made a game specifically to recruit called 'America's Army'. The marines have a program that uses a similar 'game' to test your combat reaction time. No clue how successful they've been in recruiting.

Was meaning more to the point that people who play video games like that are more interested in playing the game than actually getting shot at. Similarly RC Planes and quadcopters seem to attract those interested more in technology than aviation. I know a guy who spends quite a bit of money on RC Stuff but doesn't really seem interested in flying real planes.

Maybe a little but on the whole I think it's going to have slightly the opposite effect. Several GA professions will be replaced by drones - cropdusting, surveying, aerial photography, etc.

Maybe a little but on the whole I think it's going to have slightly the opposite effect. Several GA professions will be replaced by drones - cropdusting, surveying, aerial photography, etc.

Crop dusting = one very large electric drone with a huge payload. That's a ways off, but probable.

I don't think it will make much difference. I've asked my son a thousand times if he wanted to pursue a PPL. Nope! He's into the phantom 3 right now and loves flying it. Still has no interest in flying a plane.

Honestly, I think this generation of kids loves having their face planted in a phone!

Back