Drones In Controlled Airspace

Half Fast

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Half Fast
Hmmm... This could add some excitement to your day.
https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2018/march/08/faa-expands-drone-authorization-program

Remote pilots certificated under Part 107 will gain easier and more practical access to controlled airspace around hundreds of airports across the country beginning in April, the FAA announced on March 6 during the agency’s annual gathering of drone stakeholders in Baltimore.

Is there any requirement for accuracy on drone altimeters? I imagine most drones are using GPS for altitude, which can be pretty sloppy in the vertical dimension. It seems likely that drones could easily violate the altitude limits.

Part 107 only (meaning certified drone pilots not recreational). Right now we have access to that airspace already under waivers filed with the FAA (for example, I can fly in any Delta in DFW at 75ft or less with an exclusion directly around the airport). This program just makes it easier to get approval for airspace and to track who is flying there and when instead of applying for waivers and calling control towers etc.

My drone meaures altitude by barometer and sonar (under 10 meters). GPS is only used for directional stability as far as I know.

Part 107 only (meaning certified drone pilots not recreational). Right now we have access to that airspace already under waivers filed with the FAA (for example, I can fly in any Delta in DFW at 75ft or less with an exclusion directly around the airport). This program just makes it easier to get approval for airspace and to track who is flying there and when instead of applying for waivers and calling control towers etc.

My drone meaures altitude by barometer and sonar (under 10 meters). GPS is only used for directional stability as far as I know.

Great reply. The only thing I would add is that all the 107 operators I know are very professional. They do things by the book, which at the current time requires waiting 90-180+ days just to get authorization to fly (in some cases) barely above the trees/rooftops. Extremely frustrating for small businesses who have to turn down clients because it will take half a year just to get the authorization. LAANC will streamline that process.

Meanwhile, recreational drone pilots only need to notify the airport if within 5 miles-- no authorization required.

Anyone else read this as, “We’re getting so many waiver requests by our own rules that we need to figure out a way to make the madness stop!”? LOL.

Anyone else read this as, “We’re getting so many waiver requests by our own rules that we need to figure out a way to make the madness stop!”? LOL.

Just wait a while. Soon it will be the manned aircraft that have to get waivers to enter drone airspace....

You'll laugh but we actually received notification from the FAA to stop filing for so many waivers because of the upcoming LAANC program. We wanted basically every flyable airspace waivered or denied and I imagine a lot of other drone companies did too. Each company/individual's safety plan has to be verified from what I understand and their needs are different which I am sure is a massive workload.

They do things by the book, which at the current time requires waiting 90-180+ days just to get authorization to fly (in some cases) barely above the trees/rooftops. Extremely frustrating for small businesses who have to turn down clients because it will take half a year just to get the authorization. LAANC will streamline that process.

I submitted a waiver request about a year ago and never received a response. Frustrating indeed.

You'll laugh but we actually received notification from the FAA to stop filing for so many waivers because of the upcoming LAANC program. We wanted basically every flyable airspace waivered or denied and I imagine a lot of other drone companies did too. Each company/individual's safety plan has to be verified from what I understand and their needs are different which I am sure is a massive workload.

A workload they forced upon themselves. Not crying any tears for them here.

I submitted a waiver request about a year ago and never received a response. Frustrating indeed.

Sheesh. Kinda ruins the usefulness of the drone license a bit, eh?

The FAA made the system so onerous that it forces operators not to comply.

Back