Drones in Canada

I think it is a good idea. Part 101 (recreational drone pilots) will soon have to take a test before being able to fly here in the US from what I hear.

They should just get rid of part 101. AMA started out defending the special rule for model aircraft but it’s clear they’ve caved and the govt is just turning it into part 107. The whole registration requirement is ridiculous.

Now, because EMS is worried that they might walk up to one with a bomb, it has to be registered on the bottom so they can see it. :confused: If a bad guy has a bomb on their drone 1) it’s not gonna be marked and the FAA, law Enforcement etc would never know. 2) If the bad guy with the bomb happened to mark it on the bottom IAW the rules, EMS would be killed long before they got close enough to see such a tiny registration anyway. Hey FAA, why not just have us mark it top, bottom, all sides and in 2 inch letters so our aircraft look like complete crap??? Idiots.

They should just get rid of part 101. AMA started out defending the special rule for model aircraft but it’s clear they’ve caved and the govt is just turning it into part 107. The whole registration requirement is ridiculous.

Now, because EMS is worried that they might walk up to one with a bomb, it has to be registered on the bottom so they can see it. :confused: If a bad guy has a bomb on their drone 1) it’s not gonna be marked and the FAA, law Enforcement etc would never know. 2) If the bad guy with the bomb happened to mark it on the bottom IAW the rules, EMS would be killed long before they got close enough to see such a tiny registration anyway. Hey FAA, why not just have us mark it top, bottom, all sides and in 2 inch letters so our aircraft look like complete crap??? Idiots.

I had to laugh when they changed the rule about displaying registration on sUAS from either outside or a compartment that can be opened without the use of tools to just on the outside for the above reason.

I don't think that 101 pilots should go through the same test as the 107 folks but a basic intro to airspace and where you can and can't fly would be great.

Last edited:
IMHO AMA was gutted by the stroke of a pen. Hopefully AOPA's war chest is bigger.

Is it even legal to fly a free-flight rubber band airplane in the U.S. anymore?

I know better than to ask for clarification about what constitutes "model aircraft operations" in the FRZ.

Back