Drones for work

Lindberg

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Lindberg
Let's say I had a remote-pilot certificate and wanted to use some of my free time making a little extra cash taking pictures of real estate and what not. Is this a practical endeavor? What do such jobs pay? And what's a reasonable setup to get started with?

Let's say I had a remote-pilot certificate and wanted to use some of my free time making a little extra cash taking pictures of real estate and what not. Is this a practical endeavor? What do such jobs pay? And what's a reasonable setup to get started with?

20 megapixel sensor, DJI Mavic 2 Pro or Phantom 4 Pro are the most common commercial setups. The prices aren't as good as they used to be (2018 UAVCoach article stating $200-275 an hour on site) although nowadays it's around $50-100 per job with occasionally higher pay if it's in your area and you have the required equipment/apps.

I haven't done real estate images though, most people I have talked to doing that have been doing it without Part 107s and the real estate agents don't care if they're doing it legally or not and pay really terribly.

I have my part 107 and I exclusively shoot commercial real estate projects. My bill rate is $300/Hr.
(PS - the Mavic 2 Pro is an excellent platform)

Feel free to PM me for more details.

Nest question, what controllers do y'all use? And is it better to have a built-in display or a separate tablet?

I recommend not going with the integrated screen controllers, they aren't compatible with other aircraft or systems if you crash change or upgrade. I have an iPad 4 Mini with cellular that has worked excellently for the last 3 years. And with the iPad you have another mobile device for the plane or yourself to use when you aren't flying.

Full size iPad also works but it is way too big in my opinion.

If you go with the Mavic 2 Pro, the controller only holds a caseless phone between the bottom arms. This is the 3rd party iPad holder that I use:

https://www.amazon.com/Skyreat-Fold...ontroller/dp/B01N7RFDBA/ref=asc_df_B01N7RFDBA

I recommend not going with the integrated screen controllers, they aren't compatible with other aircraft or systems if you crash change or upgrade. I have an iPad 4 Mini with cellular that has worked excellently for the last 3 years. And with the iPad you have another mobile device for the plane or yourself to use when you aren't flying.

Full size iPad also works but it is way too big in my opinion.

If you go with the Mavic 2 Pro, the controller only holds a caseless phone between the bottom arms. This is the 3rd party iPad holder that I use:

https://www.amazon.com/Skyreat-Fold...ontroller/dp/B01N7RFDBA/ref=asc_df_B01N7RFDBA
I disagree. Integrated screens are 100% the way to go if you're doing it professionally, IMO. It's more time consuming than it appears on the surface. Delivering a quality product takes time and effort on the back end.

I disagree. Integrated screens are 100% the way to go if you're doing it professionally, IMO. It's more time consuming than it appears on the surface. Delivering a quality product takes time and effort on the back end.

What takes more time, plugging in an iPad on an iPad mount? Setup never takes long at all as long as you leave it the mount assembled after the first flight of the day.

Are they of better quality? It looks like with the built-in screen they are still quite a bit more than the cost of the standard controller + tablet, so I was wondering if there are other differences.

Are they of better quality? It looks like with the built-in screen they are still quite a bit more than the cost of the standard controller + tablet, so I was wondering if there are other differences.
So far in my experience, yes, and they are brighter, too, which can be a big deal in bright sun. You also don't risk dropping your phone, having a connection go bad, etc.

What takes more time, plugging in an iPad on an iPad mount? Setup never takes long at all as long as you leave it the mount assembled after the first flight of the day.
I meant to say that drone flying can be time consuming. Driving to the site setting up, making sure you aren't flying over non-participants, etc. I'm personally convinced most commercial drone operators are breaking a rule or two almost every flight. Mind you, some of those rules probably need some re-evaluation.

I meant to say that drone flying can be time consuming. Driving to the site setting up, making sure you aren't flying over non-participants, etc. I'm personally convinced most commercial drone operators are breaking a rule or two almost every flight. Mind you, some of those rules probably need some re-evaluation.
Absolutely. It's all about proper planning beforehand, performing during, and delivering after. I have also run into more careless pilots (and companies) than I'd like to admit.

So far in my experience, yes, and they are brighter, too, which can be a big deal in bright sun. You also don't risk dropping your phone, having a connection go bad, etc.

I fly the CrystalSky with the M210 and it is an incredible tablet that is bright and easy to see in direct sunlight, I just don't think that it's worth it cost wise for a Mavic 2 Pro or Phantom 4 Pro doing lower level work. The iPad overheats in the TX heat and is harder than average to see but it is still a good platform IMO.

I fly the CrystalSky with the M210 and it is an incredible tablet that is bright and easy to see in direct sunlight, I just don't think that it's worth it cost wise for a Mavic 2 Pro or Phantom 4 Pro doing lower level work. The iPad overheats in the TX heat and is harder than average to see but it is still a good platform IMO.
I've had too many important overheat or glitch situations on iPhones and iPads. Never so far with the CrystalSky. One or two job problems will make the tablet worth it's weight in cash, especially in West Texas.

My company is involved in these now. In general terms, seems to be very viable. We insure many operators with 2 to 5 drones and they seem to do well. I know of a retiring 777 pilot who started his drone biz on the side and it takes him all over the world now. Not sure how saturated the market is at the moment, but it seems like one could specialize in oil pipe inspection/superstructure inspection, Something other than urban real state(not that it’s bad, just saturated, in general)one could get ahead of the game.

Back