Drone flown over Istanbul airport

This is why the FAA may get involved with regulating drones. People are F********ing stupid. As a pilot, I also enjoy flying rc, and have at times tossed a camera up there. But I know the regs and respect airspace. This person needs the snot beat out of him. I'm glad the comments section went to work there.

If he gets caught in a country like Turkey he'll get more than the snot beat out of him. There is no cure for stupid. Don

Ok, I'll take Devil's advocate, show me what he did that presented a hazard? He might have got in the way of a missed approach to that one runway (how often do airlines execute a missed in fine weather?), but outside of that, he never operated in a place that remotely is going to cause an incident. :dunno:

If he gets caught in a country like Turkey he'll get more than the snot beat out of him. There is no cure for stupid. Don

What makes you think that? Have been to Turkey? Do you know what life there is like? IME, unless he actually gets someone killed, the reaction and fine in Turkey is going to be FAR less than here. Turkey is far from the nanny state we live in. Turkey has more personal freedom than America, and way less prisoners per capita.

So you think it's just fine for these morons to fly a drone in an airport traffic area? Do you want to hit one of these on downwind in your 310? Some of those drones are 6-8ft in diameter and weigh up to 30lbs. A lot of them are cheaply made and go out of control often. Don

So you think it's just fine for these morons to fly a drone in an airport traffic area? Do you want to hit one of these on downwind in your 310? Some of those drones are 6-8ft in diameter and weigh up to 30lbs. A lot of them are cheaply made and go out of control often. Don

Do I want to hit on on downwind, no. But why should they not be allowed to operate in airspace I will not occupy? We do it with helicopters as well, and where distinct and separate patterns exist, there is very little problem.

Lets also factor in that these units are lighter and do less damage than most migratory waterfowl, and there are far far far more of them operating in the ATA than there ever will be drones. So the actual risk enhancement that these things brings is extremely minimal, the risk they produce is far below the threshold of what you accept on every flight now. With a simple education campaign, the risk can be effectively eliminated without any legislation or restriction of freedom.

How do you know that airspace won't be occupied? "Probably won't" doesn't make up for the fact that aircraft are operating there and may, in fact, enter that "safe zone" over the airport. At a much greater chance than an aircraft may appear over your house :dunno: IMO it's like saying I can walk across a road and I "probably won't" be hit by a car because there isn't much traffic. You may be right for the moment but it will not always be the case.

If the drone loses power or an engine and it's over the airport, where is it going to go? Chances are it'll fall into a movement area and become FOD, or maybe find someone on takeoff. There's no need to be over the airport with drones, it is a curiosity and nothing more. Why provision something to allow people to do it when it isn't necessary and is a safety risk?

Not saying ban drones from all areas of the sky because a plane might be there, but an airport or approach path is a no-brainer to lock them out of.

How do you know that airspace won't be occupied? "Probably won't" doesn't make up for the fact that aircraft are operating there and may, in fact, enter that "safe zone" over the airport. At a much greater chance than an aircraft may appear over your house :dunno: IMO it's like saying I can walk across a road and I "probably won't" be hit by a car because there isn't much traffic. You may be right for the moment but it will not always be the case.

If the drone loses power or an engine and it's over the airport, where is it going to go? Chances are it'll fall into a movement area and become FOD, or maybe find someone on takeoff. There's no need to be over the airport with drones, it is a curiosity and nothing more. Why provision something to allow people to do it when it isn't necessary and is a safety risk?

Not saying ban drones from all areas of the sky because a plane might be there, but an airport or approach path is a no-brainer to lock them out of.

Because the nature of flight patterns, and limitation on performance, the aircraft will not occupy that volume of air. When I am brought across the runways of a class B, they bring me across departure numbers most typically.

Because the nature of flight patterns, and limitation on performance, the aircraft will not occupy that volume of air. When I am brought across the runways of a class B, they bring me across departure numbers most typically.

So for all areas around the airport, you can guarantee that an aircraft won't occupy that exact area? I still don't see the benefit to letting people fly drones over an airport. How are the drones going to get to that area above the airport, teleportation? They would have to cross some semblance of a traffic pattern to get there, which is something you said you'd not like to have happen. And what happens when one loses communication or battery power or burns out a motor?

Sure they may be smaller or less damaging than a bird in some cases, but that's no excuse to raise the chance of hitting something in an area where aircraft are guaranteed to be around :confused:

Why do you think it should be allowed? What are the benefits to overcome the safety risk

:confused: I did my training here in KSLC Bravo, and transition through their space frequently, and it is ALWAYS over the arrival numbers (unless I'm misreading you - the incoming traffic is landing underneath me), at 5500 feet. That would be 1300 feet AGL, right about where that drone was flying.

So, imho, no reasonable pilot should be on here advocating that it is okay for someone to be operating a drone near ANY airport, whether it is legal or illegal.... it runs right up there with the idiots that shine laser pointers at aircraft. My point really is this: I don't know the laws of the land in Turkey, nor do I know anything about their traffic flow at that airport, but I do know that this moron put it on the Internet so other morons will get the same stupid idea and attempt to replicate it.

As someone who has flown into this airport as a PAX, not sure I appreciate this guy flying the drone. At least he/she was smart about where they flew, but there are a few operations that could result in a collision. That said its a pretty sweet view of the airport.

Anyone know when they are going to start shooting drones into airliner engines along with the turkeys during certification? I would imagine that unless there was some heavy metal in them that they wouldn't be worse than a frozen turkey, but what do I know!

Back