Droid and LiveATC.net?

Areeda

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Areeda
My home airport (KEMT) has a good feed, I would be kind of cool if I could get my Droid to play it but I'm not having any luck.

Javas enabled but all I get is a "click play if you get "invalid file" but I don't get "invalid file" or a "play" button.

Do I need to install an application? If so which one?

Joe

My home airport (KEMT) has a good feed, I would be kind of cool if I could get my Droid to play it but I'm not having any luck.

Javas enabled but all I get is a "click play if you get "invalid file" but I don't get "invalid file" or a "play" button.

Do I need to install an application? If so which one?

The LiveATC app... Uh... Sorry, that's only on the iPhone. ;) ;)

Don't know if there are any apps out there that will connect to m3u streams, but if and when Flash 10 comes out on Android you'll be able to connect via the flash player.

Jason,

I'm thinking about writing a LiveATC app for the droid I'm close to something working.. I notice the terms of service require permission for something like that.

Any idea who to contact and what they'd like in return?

Joe

Jason,

I'm thinking about writing a LiveATC app for the droid I'm close to something working.. I notice the terms of service require permission for something like that.

Any idea who to contact and what they'd like in return?

Joe

E-mail Dave. PM me for his email address. Or use the contact form on our site.

E-mail Dave. PM me for his email address. Or use the contact form on our site.
Thanks Jason!

I emailed Dave to start a dialog.

I have a working prototype that just plays my home airport. Quality is pretty good but I'm still working on occasional hiccups.

Joe

You're still working on a prototype, and I'm already starting a wish list for features!

When you build it, can you put in a setting switch that allows you to optionally specify that it runs only when on WiFi?

I'd love to have it running, but if the WiFi connection died, I wouldn't want to be using my "Unlimited" (5Gb) data plan.

:smile:

I spoke with Dave, the founder and main developer of LiveATC. He was not supportive of a dedicated app like this because of potential legal issues. We didn't get into details.

So I'm looking into helper apps for the built in browser rather than a dedicated app.

Also I was reading the Droid Forums (droidforums.net) where Verizon employees said the 5GB limit is on the laptop devices not the Droid which really is unlimited. The other interesting thing in that thread is that they can tell if the device is tethered and the TOS says they can charge the retail data rate if they catch us tethering the device.

Joe

Have you tried moodio.fm? It's free to register and it allows you to listen to streaming audio through your mobile browser. I use it as a work-around so I can listen on my Blackberry. Most of the LiveATC streams are already set up in their database so you simply have to search for it and add it to your favorites.

Thanks for the clarification about "unlimited." I was concerned about apps like Pandora, etc, for that reason, but it is apparently nothing to be concerned about!

I spoke with Dave, the founder and main developer of LiveATC. He was not supportive of a dedicated app like this because of potential legal issues. We didn't get into details.

So I'm looking into helper apps for the built in browser rather than a dedicated app.

Also I was reading the Droid Forums (droidforums.net) where Verizon employees said the 5GB limit is on the laptop devices not the Droid which really is unlimited. The other interesting thing in that thread is that they can tell if the device is tethered and the TOS says they can charge the retail data rate if they catch us tethering the device.

Joe

I can't imagine what kind of legal issues there could possibly be. They are streaming it to the internet. You are receiving the stream over the internet.

I'm pretty sure that WinAmp is a "dedicated app" too, right?

I can't imagine what kind of legal issues there could possibly be. They are streaming it to the internet. You are receiving the stream over the internet.

I'm pretty sure that WinAmp is a "dedicated app" too, right?

Regardless, as the Trademark owner of "LiveATC", it's not kosher to use their name over their objections, IMHO.

I really don't want to cause these guys headaches. It's part of the ToS.

The only thing that I see as an issue is the ad revenue they would loose. I'm sure the infrastructure they have in place costs a pretty penny for a "free" service.

He did say as long as I keep it private use, it was OK.

Joe

Use the flash player on the eris device and they all work. Don't know why the Motorola is having issues though.

That's odd, considering they do have a dedicated LiveATC app on the iPhone. :dunno:

My guess?

He's a Mac freak. Sounds like a fanboy move to me.

I brought that up. Without getting an explanation, I got the impression it wasn't working for him as well as he thought it would.

I've noticed that there hasn't been an update in quite a while, despite a pretty blatant and significant bug that I reported early on.

The bug: If you remove the button for the completely useless "Home" screen from the button bar at the bottom, all of the US locations disappear. (I wanted to get rid of "home" and have my button bar consist of USA, US ARTCC, Nearby, and Favorites.)

Hopefully they get it fixed, and get the "legal issues" worked out.

Back