Driving to OSH from MDW - Advice sought

TMetzinger

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Tim
I'm going to be renting a car at MDW and driving north on Thursday.

Any recommendations on whether I should head east to pick up 94, or head west to pick up 294?

I'm going to be renting a car at MDW and driving north on Thursday.

Any recommendations on whether I should head east to pick up 94, or head west to pick up 294?

Take 294. Lesser of two very evils. They're both under construction. The difference is the northern WI border end of 294 doesn't have any stoplights. The other evil is you'll have to stop 3-4 times on 294 to pay a $2 toll.

Out of Midway it's actually worth it timewise to go the wrong way - southwest on 55 to connect to 294 northbound.

Wave as you pass my house.

Last edited:
iPass and EZ Pass are compatible. You will save $$$ and time by bringing it. The tollway SUCKS big time right now, but mike is correct 294 will be the lesser evil. Once you get to WI stay withing10 mph of the posted speed limit, and you will avoid the speed tax :). Final piece of advice. Exit on hwy 44 street in Osh not hwy 26. This will save you some time driving into the site.

iPass and EZ Pass are compatible. You will save $$$ and time by bringing it. The tollway SUCKS big time right now, but mike is correct 294 will be the lesser evil. Once you get to WI stay withing10 mph of the posted speed limit, and you will avoid the speed tax :). Final piece of advice. Exit on hwy 44 street in Osh not hwy 26. This will save you some time driving into the site.

OHHHHH!!!!!! Do EXACTLY the 65 speed limit after you cross the WI border until you are well clear of Racine County, WI - which means the state border up to the outskirts of Milwaukee. Racine County SPECIALIZES in pulling over out of staters streaking as fast as 66 MPH for $150 fines.

Ask me how I know. Yes, it was enroute BACK to Oshkosh to get my plane. No. I didn't get convicted. Yes. It cost me plenty for the lawyer and I still paid the b*ds.

Last edited:

Thanks, I've made the drive from Milwaukee before - Once I get to WI I'm good.

Tim,

Chi-town to WI is just plain gonna suck right now no matter which way you go. Yes, ipass=EZPass. If you go 94, there aren't stoplights -that's when you miss the Edens spur exit and end up on US 41, in which case there's 14 of them.

Honestly, the best way will depend on the time of day. Off peak (peak =~5-9a, 1-7p), go 94 (most of 294 is under construction, 94 is only torn up from the 90 split to the end of 294). Peak, go 294.

I bet you'll like Chicago so much you'll go to MKE next time even if MWC is free. :eek:

Additionally, they have "construction zone cameras." I have seen them a few times recently on the northern stretch of 294, before WI. Essentially, if you are over the posted construction zone speed limit, it is a $375 dollar ticket in the mail. 2nd one is $1K and a suspension of ones drivers license. It is all done in a big white utility van, (with radar guns and cameras) with a sign over the top that says the current speed limit, and has a readout of your current speed....

Tim,

I'd avoid 94 if at all possible, the construction on 294 is considerably less likely to leave you stopped in traffic. Also, I'm not sure what kind of cell phone you have or if you have a data plan on it, but Google has a mobile version of their Google Maps application that includes traffic data. It is insanely useful for just those kinds of last minute decisions. But be aware that it does use data, so if your current plan does not have that you're carrier will hit your wallet almost as hard as the Racine County Sheriffs.

And speaking of sheriffs, heed the warnings. I went back and forth through there a few times this past Saturday and Sunday, and they were out in force.

Jason

Additionally, they have "construction zone cameras." I have seen them a few times recently on the northern stretch of 294, before WI. Essentially, if you are over the posted construction zone speed limit, it is a $375 dollar ticket in the mail. 2nd one is $1K and a suspension of ones drivers license. It is all done in a big white utility van, (with radar guns and cameras) with a sign over the top that says the current speed limit, and has a readout of your current speed....

At least, that's what they want you to think. I've gone past the white vans a zillion times in the truck, generally in the 5-10 over zone, never got a single ticket. And I *know* that my company wasn't just payin' em...

On the way back today from Oshkosh, both US 41 and 294 were stuffed with WI Troopers - all very busy. Heed the speed advice - ESPECIALLY northbound through Racine County, right by Highway 11.

Tim,
If the weather cooperates, I will be flying to FLD or OSH tomorrow morning. I will be leaving from ARR. Let me know if you want a ride. I plan on leaveing at 6 am.
ApacheBob

Tim,
If the weather cooperates, I will be flying to FLD or OSH tomorrow morning. I will be leaving from ARR. Let me know if you want a ride. I plan on leaveing at 6 am.
ApacheBob
Thanks, Bob, but I'll need wheels for other stuff I need to do. Appreciate the offer, however!

I am here at the EAA booth for online stuff at the Oshkosh Airshow. I am working in the Warbird Tower if you want to stop and see me. Today is Thursday. I will start working in the tower at 5:30 pm when the show ends.:blueplane:
ApacheBob

At least, that's what they want you
to think. I've gone past the white vans a zillion times in the truck, generally in the 5-10 over zone, never got a single ticket. And I *know* that my company wasn't just payin' em...

Huh, weird:confused::dunno:

2 separate people I know got tickets at 7 over.....Which creates the intended effect (at least for me) cruise control set at the limit, in the zone.....

For anyone on site - was there an "incident" on Rwy 27 -- heard rumors, looking for facts....

I don't think he realized that 294 ended before the northern US border before you get into Wisconsin (Republic of Cheeseland) and turns into plain ole I94, or as Racine people that worked for me called it... The Eye.

I'm betting he meant 894, which is generally what you'll end up on if you bring 41 down from OSH. Those aren't WI troopers though, they're Milwaukee County Mounties. But yes, the WI troopers are ever-present in Racine and Kenosha counties.

I'm betting he meant 894, which is generally what you'll end up on if you bring 41 down from OSH. Those aren't WI troopers though, they're Milwaukee County Mounties. But yes, the WI troopers are ever-present in Racine and Kenosha counties.

I thought those are Racine County revenue streams.

I only saw one in each direction this year. On previous OSH trips you could practically walk down the highway shoulder from car to car on the bubblegum lights.

I did set the cruise and stay right while I was amused that most of the cars streaming by me were other Illinois two platers.

Oh. About the construction zones. Note that the fool tried all three lanes. Nice effort, but for the love of god, STAY RIGHT.

I had a half dozen cheeseheads decide to zip left directly in front of me with no warning or signal and then keep the same speed while the traffic I was with proceeded miles ahead. I had my finger on the phaser trigger more than once. :rolleyes:

Back