Driving Record for Airlines

That sort of above story happened to me as well. Not speeding but similar. It was a BS ticket, the cop knew it, the judge knew it, and the ticket wasn't even valid because the cop didn't have me sign it (says right on the ticket that signing is required for the ticket to be valid). I pointed all of this out.

Judge: "I'm going to ignore that."
Me: "So you're going to ignore that this ticket is invalid, and thus you can't fine me."
Judge: "Correct. $300 plus court fees."

This was in New York, where the police are very much considered a revenue source for the government.
Hi Ted ..... a bit more trivia in regard to my above post .... I came across it because it is taught to law students .... point being the accused speeder acknowledged going over the speed limit.

In the purest technical sense he was breaking the law and the judge ruled accordingly.

Even if it was only 1 mph over the limit is irrelevant because the law reads "exceed the posted speed limit" ..... the amount of the fine (punishment) is what has the flexibility ... but the law itself does not ... high speed = high fine ..... low speed = low fine

If I stab someone I am guilty of stabbing somebody ..... but if the person dies I am also charged with murder .... the "guilty of stabbing" charge itself is equal in both cases

Of course most police or courts want to see a substantial over-speed before issuing a ticket because of speedometer variations , possible radar interference , and without cruise control it is hard to maintain an exact speed.

Back