Driving from Austin to Reno for the races

bigred177

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
bigred
I'm heading to Reno this year for my second shot at seeing the unlimiteds race before they stop coming. About 3 weeks after Reno I am supposed to be going to Vegas so I thought I'd take a much needed post graduation/bar exam break. Since no one is interested in hiring someone with a brand new law degree until they pass the bar, I'm free until November.

I'll start my drive to Reno on the 9th and leave Vegas Oct. 18. I plan on camping as much as possible for the fun of it and to keep the costs low. I'm not sure which way I'd like to go:
1) I can take the shortest route and go through Lubbock, Northern NM, N AZ and on to NV and then take the same route home, or
2) I can leave through El Paso, S NM, S AZ, and then to Reno.
They both take about the same amount of time. Anyone have any thoughts. I'll try to keep the thread updated with pictures and progress.

I'll have from Sept. 15 until Oct. 14 to myself in between Reno and Vegas. I have a few thoughts on what to do but any suggestions to anyone with more knowledge of the area are welcome. I was thinking about spending some time in Tahoe, then maybe a little while in Minden at the airport (I thought maybe I could volunteer a little with the glider operation), then check out the Grand Canyon, Hoover dam, Lake Mead for awhile, then over to Vegas.

That's as far as I've gotten. Thoughts on things to do/buy/bring are welcome. Here's my planned rig for the trip:

attachment.php

attachment.php

I'll probably sleep in the car with a blow up mattress and the back seats folded down and use the tent for my gear and cooking.

Attachments

• 20130809_204055_LLS.jpg
    20130809_204055_LLS.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 40
  • 20130809_204421.jpg
    20130809_204421.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 39
I like your plan, do you have reserved seats for Reno? If not bring a lawn chair, if so, bring a seat cushion (and plenty of sun screen).

Bring plenty of cash for the air races. I love the vendor booths!

I'm good friends with the folks for Miss America so I will be down there for most of it.

Back