Driving automation and GA

Challenged

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Challenged
The strides that driving automation has made over the past few years are pretty impressive. I think this is going to bring a huge change in transportation at some point. What sort of impact do you think this will have on general aviation?

No effect on GA. I really can't see autonomous cars it would kill the ticket/DUI revenue machine. States couldn't truck on without that money. Plus cut into PC stops. I pulled you over because your autonomous car swerved a little back there...

There's big money in the current transportation system, but I think there's equally big money in automation, which is why I think it's inevitable.

Imagine some point in the coming future, where driving is now much safer than even commercial aviation. This seems like it would make my airplane much less viable for traveling purposes.

The strides that driving automation has made over the past few years are pretty impressive. I think this is going to bring a huge change in transportation at some point. What sort of impact do you think this will have on general aviation?

My guess is that it will impact general aviation (and not only).

In the name of safety, comfort and convenience, mom and dad will send Billy and Betty to school in an autonomous roll cage. Heck, mom and dad will even save a great deal on insurance and not have to pay extra for driving one of those dangerous, loud and polluting classics.

Billy and Betty grow up: never been in an accident and got ready for whatever they needed to while being driven, every day... without ever driving.

Some old dude flies his spam cam in the sky, getting high like like in the old days. What will Billy and Betty think of it?
- Wow, that is so dangerous! What fool would risk doing that?
- Wow, that's a hard thing to do: use both of your feet, and hands, and think and talk at the same time?? When did I ever have to do that??

Ha! And that's my view of a bright, safe and comfortable future :D

If an autonomous car were to be involved in an accident of any sort whose gonna take the blame?

If, on the other hand, they proved to be completely safe and reliable I think there would be autonomous cars everywhere with debit card slots and maybe that would include most, if not all, small GA airports. So in that sense it might be a boon for GA.

There is some evidence we are past peakhelo parenting. Course the helokids will be eaten alive soon enough.

No effect on GA. I really can't see autonomous cars it would kill the ticket/DUI revenue machine. States couldn't truck on without that money. Plus cut into PC stops. I pulled you over because your autonomous car swerved a little back there...

C'mon you give too little 'credit' to the government for its ability to dream up ways of taking our money. Fees, tolls, whatever - they'd find a way. :D

Anyway it's not as if all cars will instantly be autonomous. There will always be regular cars too.

But setting all that aside, I don't think drivers will like autonomous cars perhaps on long trips (and for that I use an airplane!).

Google's desire is no steering wheel. Wrong again, Google. There is no effing way I'm getting into a car that I can't control.

Google and others have put, what, a few million miles on their autonomous cars? That sounds like a lot but it is a tiny tiny fraction of what people drive in this country and there's not a chance Google has made these cars lifeproof enough to handle all the situations they would face if rolled out.

Also, I think once the technology is proven, it's possible that speed limits could be raised significantly, or removed completely for autonomous vehicles.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

A few years back, I worked installing kits into trucks for the Navy's MLT program. Actually a really neat system for making them autonomous, using things that humans do instead of going through computers. I doubt the same could be done with aircraft though.

I was in Primm, NV during the tech demonstration for the Navy as a general helper, just setting up towers and cameras and using Ubuntu for the first time to set up feeds :)mad2:) with my dad who knew the guy. They had a humvee hooked up to the system and as they went to get it moving, they realized the steering wheel and pedals they usually used broke in transit. They only had a backup PS2 gaming controller and none of the guys had any confidence using it. They all realized I played a lot of console games at the time and asked me to do it. So I got to sit in the back of an Avalanche, driving 4 people around at ~40mph around a lakebed via video and walkie-talkie. :lol:

http://www.kairosautonomi.com/

NissanTruckTechnical.jpg

KAFallonMissiledropstill.jpg

#iwasthere

It would do that, but that would be offset by the government's ability to more fully control your mobility. Don't think there isn't a backdoor in these systems to allow someone else to control the vehicle. Didn't pay your taxes? Watch your car drive itself to the nearest IRS field collection unit*

*these will replace police precincts. Since the robbers can't drive their own getaway vehicles, the cops are now just middle men.

That

Were a blame and sue happy society, hard to get your pound of flesh out of a inanimate object.

Besides we've had the tech to make autonomous cars for a while, there is a reason you don't see them driving down Main Street.

Autonomous is already here:

http://www.ainonline.com/aviation-n...orsky-proceeds-sensor-loop-autonomous-flights

Will it work its way into the lower end of GA? Doubt it. The cost to equip a typical SE piston with this technology would be prohibitive. Those of us that fly for a living, there really won't be much use for the pilot 20-30 yrs down the road. I'll basically be relegated to typing in an FMS and being a systems manager. Hopefully be retired by that time though.

Back