Drivers License Medical

EdLarkin

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
OldGunbunny
Taken from an AOPA release (in my email).

"The General Aviation Pilot Protection Act would allow pilots to use the driver's license medical standard for noncommercial VFR flights in aircraft weighing up to 6,000 pounds with no more than six seats. That includes virtually all single-engine airplanes with six or fewer seats, including Beech Bonanzas, as well as many light twins like the Piper Aztec, Beech Baron 55 and 58, and Cessna 310."

Introduced today by Reps. Todd Rokita (R-Ind.) and Sam Graves (R-Mo.)

Looks like some folks are tired of waiting on FAA to move.

But useful for sound-bites come next November...

More likely fundraising mailers from AOPA.

The soundbites in November would be more like "Congressman Smithers voted to allow people to FLY AIRPLANES <cue scarry music> without even having a qualified doctor's sign-off" (background image of Cherokee Six crashing into a school bus and bursting into flames)

Last edited:
The soundbites in November would be more like "Congressman Smithers voted to allow people to FLY AIRPLANES <cue scarry music> without even having a qualified doctor's sign-off" (background image of Cherokee Six crashing into a school bus and bursting into flames)
Yep - can be twisted either way...

I don't mind putting some time, effort and money into helping pass it.

At least someone is paying attention,just might get the FAA to take some action.

Here's hoping.

It would give me a lot more options.

Though I'd almost certainly stay with Experimental Light Sport - the ability to do my own maintenance, mods and annuals is a huge plus.

Those of you who live in districts whose representative sits on the aviation subcommittee are especially needed for initially speaking up on behalf of the rest of us. We can not contact representatives outside of our district and so are powerless unless it gets as far as the floor of the full congress. Look here to see if your rep is on the list.

Those of you who live in districts whose representative sits on the aviation subcommittee are especially needed for initially speaking up on behalf of the rest of us. We can not contact representatives outside of our district and so are powerless unless it gets as far as the floor of the full congress. Look here to see if your rep is on the list.
By all means write! But I think those in Sen. Jay Rockefeller's State of
WVa (anybody from West Virginia here?) need to be particularly forthcoming.......

I'm fuzzy on the whole 'contacting members of congress' - my rep doesn't sit on this committee, however my senator sits on the equivalent (best I can tell).. should I contact them to support the house? or just contact my rep? I'm happy to head to DC and speak to the committee myself if they'll give me the 5 minutes and listen... :)

I'm fuzzy on the whole 'contacting members of congress' - my rep doesn't sit on this committee, however my senator sits on the equivalent (best I can tell).. should I contact them to support the house? or just contact my rep? I'm happy to head to DC and speak to the committee myself if they'll give me the 5 minutes and listen... :)
It doesn't even have a HR # yet...But we need to keep watching.

It doesn't even have a HR # yet...But we need to keep watching.

It appears that my rep, Peter DeFazio, is on the Aviation subcommittee, so I suppose I should be contacting him asking for him to support it. I see DeFazio was in the Air Force reserve '67 to '71. He is also a liberal/progressive and the bill so far has mostly Republican cosponsors.

If someone can suggest an approach that might appeal to him, that would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back