DriodX -v- iPhone

There are some apps you can d/l to get around the "tethering with the laptop" charges. I don't have any, so I don't know the names.

Along the lines of the original post, which one for someone who has touched a computer maybe 5 times in her life? Not computer savvy, doesn't care about apps. They would want a phone, texting, and access to e-mail (web based).

Droid or iphone?
TIA

Either one. Probably a steep learning curve for a complete newbie.

As much as it pains me to say it, the Iphone is probably the better device for the n00b with limited and specific use. It's simple, intuitive, easily backs up to ITunes, etc.
For a power user, an Android phone for sure, for the new and light user, the IPhone is probably better.

The App Store allows you to easily and securely add apps if you want. I know you said no apps, but my 80 year old mother-in-law ended up with about a half-dozen apps she uses.

IMHO, if you have no need for apps, there's no reason to waste money on either smart-phone. Neither of these things are cheap, and any brick will do voice and texting. Email can be had on many other less-capable, far cheaper phones.
And the answer is: A netbook type computer. There are almost no Apple products available in Kolkata except the iPod and it isn't selling. Indians said they don't like Apple products :dunno:

As Jay said, smart phones are expensive, the user didn't like the user interface on them (window space too small) but she is able to deal with Windows 7. Got her running e-mail on a netbook with a 3G (?) wireless modem from Tata. This combo is so easy a caveman could run it. At least until the first time she gets nailed with a virus because her nieces/nephews download bollywood music from Pakistan. $50USD for the modem, $10US /month to be connected, no minimum contract.

Hmm you got 2.2 in you update? I was at 2.1 and now I have 2.1 + update 1.

UPDATE:

I don't get it until Q4

https://supportforums.motorola.com/community/manager/softwareupgrades

My phone is a Canadian Milestone.
The Quarter 4 2010 upgrade to Android version 2.2 is finally available in quarter 2 of 2011.

I just got done doing the painful upgrade as Motorola does not support WiFi link of software and there is no way I am going to data roam on the France Telecom network. The funny thing is I am way past this phone. I have an HTC EVO and an iPhone. The only reason I have the Droid with me is to roam with my work account while I am hear in France. Better to let work pay the phone bill then to try and expense my ATT bill.

The Quarter 4 2010 upgrade to Android version 2.2 is finally available in quarter 2 of 2011.

I just got done doing the painful upgrade as Motorola does not support WiFi link of software and there is no way I am going to data roam on the France Telecom network. The funny thing is I am way past this phone. I have an HTC EVO and an iPhone. The only reason I have the Droid with me is to roam with my work account while I am hear in France. Better to let work pay the phone bill then to try and expense my ATT bill.
How does the DROIDX work in France? I didn't think CDMA was much outside the US.

How does the DROIDX work in France? I didn't think CDMA was much outside the US.
I am not using CDMA in France. There really is not much CDMA in Europe at all. Most of the outside US CDMA is in Asia.

He's using the Motorola Milestone, which is sort of like the Droid Original, but on AT&T's GSM network.
Not quite.

I am using a Milestone which is exactly like the Droid original except for the GSM/UMTS markets. I am no longer running it on AT&T at all. I have a Sprint SIM card in it. It will not work on AT&T and T-Mobile in the US at all with that SIM, but operates just fine everywhere else.

The annoying thing about Android is that each model of phone and each manufacturer applies customization to the OS that can add or reduce features and capability. I have noticed the the Verizon load of Froyo has different feature than the Milestone version. Milestone was sold in North America to the Canadian company Telus and not in the US. I have even noticed that with HTC they do similar things. This is a good things for device vendors that want to differentiate their product, but can be frustrating to users using similar devices. I have heard rumblings that Google is thinking about creating some better controls on how the OS is and the add ons are made compatible in a more uniform manner.

Last edited:

The annoying thing about Android is that each model of phone and each manufacturer applies customization to the OS that can add or reduce features and capability. I have noticed the the Verizon load of Froyo has different feature than the Milestone version. Milestone was sold in North America to the Canadian company Telus and not in the US. I have even noticed that with HTC they do similar things. This is a good things for device vendors that want to differentiate their product, but can be frustrating to users using similar devices. I have heard rumblings that Google is thinking about creating some better controls on how the OS is and the add ons are made compatible in a more uniform manner.
Google better do something. We are looking at apps to run our equipment over Droid and iPhone and Google is starting to remind me of MicroSoft Windows Mobile. You write something that runs on an HP and it doesn't run on a Dell or HP has a different model next year and it won't run on that.

Google better do something. We are looking at apps to run our equipment over Droid and iPhone and Google is starting to remind me of MicroSoft Windows Mobile. You write something that runs on an HP and it doesn't run on a Dell or HP has a different model next year and it won't run on that.

Yep. That is a real problem with Android. You also have to deal with a lot more legacy OS issues as not everything gets updated in a timely manner if at all.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Back