Dream Planes

Seanaldinho

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Yerp
For me I have three dream planes, 2 of which I plan to make a reality.

1. RV-8 (gotta have something to do nothing productive with ;) )
2. Beech 17 Staggerwing (love the classic look, provides good speed and 4 seats. Personnally I would strip it and put a glass cockpit in it give it the retro look and modern amenities.)

And my wishful thinking plane

3. PBY Catalina (gotta have something to travel the Carribean for random surf trips eh?)

OV-10D....because everyone needs a two seat bush plane built like a gorilla.

HU-16...because I too want to tour the islands, but at more than 90 knots.

TBM850...a nice traveler for me and the wife with good weather capability.

If it's within the realm of near-term possibility, I don't think of it as a dream plane, so the RV-whatever, etc. does not make my list.

However, a nice $1M used King Air decked out with some retrofit glass and big honkin' engines does. :thumbsup:

- Citation Mustang
- T-34C
- MD-520N

Now for the real world. Sometime in the next 10 years, I might be able to afford an RV-7 or 8. If not that, maybe a Kitfox Super 7. The Kitfox looks to cruise at the same speed as the 172 I have a share in, but on half the fuel, and two seats will fulfill 95%+ of my flights.

I've often been asked what my favorite aircraft is. I've got over 80 of them in my logbook. My answer is always the same, though; whatever I'm flying right now.

More importantly for me, it's whatever I'm being paid to fly right now, at any given time.

That said, not much rivals the purity of the J3 cub (Except perhaps the pleasure of a PA18).

RV-12 for those fun flights
Piper Cherokee 180 for heavier hauling
and a P-51D Mustang, because, why not? :p

Run out surplus 707 guided by a portable Garmin GPS. Because, I have this John Travolta complex.

1. P-51
2. A-4
3. Piaggio180...gotta have something to haul my clubs.

Right now, it's the Piper Matrix (or Malibu). But hey, I fully expect to own one in five years or so. In the meantime, I am awaiting an answer for the offer I submitted yesterday for a "six". I like my dreams to be realistic :wink2:

Crap! I forgot about the Epic. Since that's single piloted I'll replace the Piaggo with the Epic...a more realistic dream anyway.

Travel plane: Cirrus SJ 50 (still working on how to afford this one!!!)

The two planes I'm torn between are for fun: Quad City Challenger LSS on floats or CTLS on floats. (This plane I wll have in the next year.)

Non glass 182S or T model with a KLN 94 and KMD 550 and I'm all set.

The Avanti can be flown single pilot.

I want a Kestrel. One of these puppies.

Awesome, didn't know that. I think I will stick with the Epic's slightly lower cruise speed and decreased fuel burn over the Avanti though. Yeah I like the Kestrel as well. I just hope those guys don't go under or get bought out by the Chinese. I think the Kestrel would be a huge contender for the single engine turboprop market.

Awesome, didn't know that. I think I will stick with the Epic's slightly lower cruise speed and decreased fuel burn over the Avanti though. Yeah I like the Kestrel as well. I just hope those guys don't go under or get bought out by the Chinese. I think the Kestrel would be a huge contender for the single engine turboprop market.

You bet. Somewhat smaller but 380 kts cruise. I like. I really hope it makes it to market so that when I make my millions I can quit putputting around behind a Rotax and fire up a big 'ol PT-6 in the morning :).

Cesna 337 if fuel comes down
Liberty xl2
AT 6
cub on floats

I found that if I start wishing to own a certain plane I end up hating what I'm flying right now. So I'm just going to borrow Doug's answer, "whatever I'm flying right now."

Yep. And I was the fourth person on the planet to fly the prototype. Fabulous airplane.
Sweet..I would love to find an Escape or LT for sale...they just do not seem to be out there....

Last edited:
TBM 850. - fast
Aviat A-1b. - slow
Waco YMF 5D - upside down

Right now, it's the Piper Matrix (or Malibu). But hey, I fully expect to own one in five years or so. In the meantime, I am awaiting an answer for the offer I submitted yesterday for a "six". I like my dreams to be realistic :wink2:

Commenting on my own comment: just heard back, we are agreed on a price but have one issue standing (AC needs fixing). Getting very very close...

Though I would prefer Cheetah spots and not Zebra stripes.

0632054.jpg

The PC-12 is up there on my list, but I'd prefer two engines. Those turbo props with good STOL capabilities have always interested me.

How about four? :). Because feeding two turbines isn't enough...not to mention feeding another pilot.

Restored Luscombe, polished, with fabric wings and an O-200 and very light controls and a minimalist panel. Early model 36 Bonanza with an IO-550, to , you know, go somewhere. And something aerobatic...maybe a Pitts S-2C.

My picks...
1. F-100F Super Sabre
2. T-6/SNJ
3. Beech Stagerwing

Last edited:
Spartan Executive.

I have to look at Dennis Washington's toys at my airport.

Here;s his 737 at KMSO

426c7.jpg

Here's his twin turboprop otter

dennis-washington.jpg

And here is where he flies it to.

sausalito-11.jpg

If I had to travel, I'd at least do it like he does. :) of all toys he keeps in the hangar, I'd take the Otter over the 737 (he has 5 planes in there).

Charles Schwab keeps a ridiculously nice Heli in there, I'd take that too. some sort of HUGE retractable gear heli. Looks like it would hold 10 pax.

Last edited:
Back