Dream Air Museum Tour

Display Name

Display name:
Threefingeredjack
One item on my bucket list is a tour of the air museums in the US. I know and have visited most of the ones West of the Rockies, but I would appreciate input from those who live, (exist? :wink2:), in the East. (I HAVE been to Dayton and theA&SM in DC, and spent a tour supporting KSC) Help a noobie on the site plot a course. Thanks in advance!!!

One item on my bucket list is a tour of the air museums in the US. I know and have visited most of the ones West of the Rockies, but I would appreciate input from those who live, (exist? :wink2:), in the East. (I HAVE been to Dayton and theA&SM in DC, and spent a tour supporting KSC) Help a noobie on the site plot a course. Thanks in advance!!!
There are a lot of superb museums in the Northeast, some of which I have visited. Some are quite small, but worth visiting anyway. Some of them feature flying aircraft, and some of them welcome fly-in visitors at their own strips or because they are situated at public airports.

I've never met an air museum I didn't like; all of these are either ones I've been to at least once or ones I plan to visit. An asterisk means they have flying aircraft/demos/airshows, a plus sign means they have a public use runway on site or next door. All of them are not too far from some public-use airport, if I'm not mistaken.
All of them have websites, for more info.
If you really like air museums that hold airshows and demos, you MUST check out the annual WWII weekend at the Mid-Atlantic Museum, any weekend show at Old Rhinebeck, or the numerous fly-in and demo weekends at the Golden Age museum.

The incomplete list from memory:

Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome- Rhinebeck, NY *
Golden Age Air Museum- Bethel, PA * +
NJ Aviation Museum and Hall of Fame- Teterboro, NJ *+
Owl's Head Transportation Museum- Owl's Head, ME *+
National Soaring Museum- Elmira, NY
Victory Air Museum- Medford, NJ +
NAS Wildwood Aviation Museum- Wildwood, NJ +
USS Intrepid Air and Space Museum- NYC
Mid-Atlantic Air Museum- Reading, PA *+
American Air Power Museum- Farmingdale, NY *+
New England Air Museum- Windsor Locks, CT +
Cradle of Aviation Museum- Garden City, NY
Western North Carolina Air Museum- Hendersonville, NC *+

There are doubtless many more I haven't mentioned here.

I've also been to the National Naval Aviation Museum down in Pensacola, FL... excellent. Then of course there's the Fantasy of Flight museum in Kissimme, FL... a must-visit on any Florida trip.

http://usnasw.org/

The Military Aviation Museum in Pungo, VA. Very unassuming place with some AMAZING aircraft...and they (almost) all fly very regularly (read: every weekend, and often during the week). A definite must-see for fans of WWII aircraft.

The Owl's Head Transportation Museum is way cool, too. But wait until late spring/summer before going to Rockland, ME!

Don't miss the chance to visit the Army Aviation Museum at Fort Rucker, Alabama. Weary well done and some great aircraft!

AirZoo - Kalamazoo MI
Yankee Air Museum - Belleville, MI
Wurthmith Yankee Air Museum - Oscoda, MI => the women in aviation display (owned by the Greater Detroit Chapter of the 99's) was moved from Belleville to Oscoda just before the fire at Belleville.
Piper Aviation Museum - Lockhaven, PA

Oh and how could we forget:
Wright Brothers National Memorial - Kill Devil Hills, NC
- It has a very small musuem but no Dream Air Museum Tour could be compleate without it.

Last edited:
Beechcraft Museum, Tullahoma, TN, on airport,

If you land on the paved public airport, there is a grass taxiway off the south end to the museum. They have an E/W grass runway near the museum.

A lot of Stagerwings, and they have a "modern wing" also with Bonanza's and others.

Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola Florida
Warner Robins Air Museum at Robins Air Logistics Center in Middle Georgia is good. It is in Senator Sam Nunn's (retired) home district, and was also the favorite beneficiary of General Robert L. Scott (Author of "God is my Co-Pilot, and Macon, Ga native). Nunn was chairman of the senate Armed Services Committee for forever, and funneled a bit of pork there.

There are a lot of superb museums in the Northeast, some of which I have visited. Some are quite small, but worth visiting anyway. Some of them feature flying aircraft, and some of them welcome fly-in visitors at their own strips or because they are situated at public airports.

I've never met an air museum I didn't like; all of these are either ones I've been to at least once or ones I plan to visit. An asterisk means they have flying aircraft/demos/airshows, a plus sign means they have a public use runway on site or next door. All of them are not too far from some public-use airport, if I'm not mistaken.
All of them have websites, for more info.
If you really like air museums that hold airshows and demos, you MUST check out the annual WWII weekend at the Mid-Atlantic Museum, any weekend show at Old Rhinebeck, or the numerous fly-in and demo weekends at the Golden Age museum.

The incomplete list from memory:

Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome- Rhinebeck, NY *
Golden Age Air Museum- Bethel, PA * +
NJ Aviation Museum and Hall of Fame- Teterboro, NJ *+
Owl's Head Transportation Museum- Owl's Head, ME *+
National Soaring Museum- Elmira, NY
Victory Air Museum- Medford, NJ +
NAS Wildwood Aviation Museum- Wildwood, NJ +
USS Intrepid Air and Space Museum- NYC
Mid-Atlantic Air Museum- Reading, PA *+
American Air Power Museum- Farmingdale, NY *+
New England Air Museum- Windsor Locks, CT +
Cradle of Aviation Museum- Garden City, NY
Western North Carolina Air Museum- Hendersonville, NC *+

There are doubtless many more I haven't mentioned here.

I've also been to the National Naval Aviation Museum down in Pensacola, FL... excellent. Then of course there's the Fantasy of Flight museum in Kissimme, FL... a must-visit on any Florida trip.

http://usnasw.org/

Holy crap....How could I have forgotten the afternoon I spent in the simulators at Fantasy of Flight??? And I did my flight training at Pensacola. Thanks for the rest.

AirZoo - Kalamazoo MI
Yankee Air Museum - Belleville, MI
Wurthmith Yankee Air Museum - Oscoda, MI => the women in aviation display (owned by the Greater Detroit Chapter of the 99's) was moved from Belleville to Oscoda just before the fire at Belleville.
Piper Aviation Museum - Lockhaven, PA

Oh and how could we forget:
Wright Brothers National Memorial - Kill Devil Hills, NC
- It has a very small musuem but no Dream Air Museum Tour could be compleate without it.

Yes First Flight field will be on my list for sure. Thanks.

Back